Charity1981

Jul 28, 2021
Indiana
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’ve been living at the pool store daily, followed their advice and while a couple of things have helped a little, my pool is still green. We have an 18x48 above ground with sand filter (we switched pump to the one it came with yesterday). My first test results (last Thursday) I was told to add 1/4 gall muratic acid, our chlorine was too high. She said if it didn’t clear, we need to add metal free. It didn’t work. I went to a different pool store the next day that was closer and he suggested trying T.K.O since it was cheaper and our levels were all back on track with the exception of chlorine still being a tad high. It did not work. Went and bought metal free and it did seem to help in about 1/4 of the pool. Went back the next day, levels are perfect and he has no idea. So my husband switched out the pumps, we added 1 gallon of chlorine and clarifier. This morning I went out to see and it was better but I have a brownish yellow dust like settled all over, including sides and ladder. I started to vacuum and you can see where it has picked up and where I have stopped (charging vacuum) but when I do this it always seems to settle back. I’ve attached pics of ladder, pool and vacuum bag. I don’t know what to do and I’m fed up messing with it.

Attachments

• DF36CEA8-5D83-4C65-8D00-C4AB803919F7.jpeg
    DF36CEA8-5D83-4C65-8D00-C4AB803919F7.jpeg
    515.8 KB · Views: 90
  • FDF291DA-ABB4-44F1-BF16-8D6DFAD58120.jpeg
    FDF291DA-ABB4-44F1-BF16-8D6DFAD58120.jpeg
    455.4 KB · Views: 88
  • 1F16F346-ED03-479B-9970-11E7A22B9813.jpeg
    1F16F346-ED03-479B-9970-11E7A22B9813.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 19E777EB-9FD8-4C36-A942-81999596BD4F.jpeg
    19E777EB-9FD8-4C36-A942-81999596BD4F.jpeg
    295.6 KB · Views: 89
I’ve been living at the pool store daily, followed their advice and while a couple of things have helped a little, my pool is still green. We have an 18x48 above ground with sand filter (we switched pump to the one it came with yesterday). My first test results (last Thursday) I was told to add 1/4 gall muratic acid, our chlorine was too high. She said if it didn’t clear, we need to add metal free. It didn’t work. I went to a different pool store the next day that was closer and he suggested trying T.K.O since it was cheaper and our levels were all back on track with the exception of chlorine still being a tad high. It did not work. Went and bought metal free and it did seem to help in about 1/4 of the pool. Went back the next day, levels are perfect and he has no idea. So my husband switched out the pumps, we added 1 gallon of chlorine and clarifier. This morning I went out to see and it was better but I have a brownish yellow dust like settled all over, including sides and ladder. I started to vacuum and you can see where it has picked up and where I have stopped (charging vacuum) but when I do this it always seems to settle back. I’ve attached pics of ladder, pool and vacuum bag. I don’t know what to do and I’m fed up messing with it.

You've been "pool stored"! Happens to a lot of people.

Step 1: STOP going to pool stores!

Step 2: Start your recovery by reading the below link.

Reactions: Northrider
Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.

If you are buying products at a pool store, you can get a proper test kit.

If you wish, you can treat your pool as a Seasonal pool. You would drain and clean it and start over. Any issue arises after, you do the same.
See Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools - Trouble Free Pool

Welcome to the forum!
You need to follow the SLAM Process. To do that, you need a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 or Taylor K2006C. A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

While you are waiting on your test kit, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach to your pool each evening with the pump running. This will replenish the FC lost each day to the sun and also inhibit any algae in the water from growing further.
I don’t understand the 5 ppm. How much bleach would I need to add? I’m going to go ahead and order the test kit.

Reactions: V___25
You can use PoolMath. Effects of Adding Chemicals.

For your pool, a quart of 10% liquid chlorine will add 4ppm FC. So dump in a bit more than 1/4 of a jug of chlorine each day until you get your kit.

When you get your kit, run a full suite of tests and post them here, or, input them into the Poolmath app and share your Poolmath Logs.

In the meantime, brushing, vacuuming, etc will not hurt.

Reactions: Charity1981
Also, in the mean time, stay out of the pool store. They’re products will just cost you a lot of money and, as you’ve experience, usually won’t work.

Reactions: Gardenmom

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m going to go ahead and order the test kit.
This is honestly the best thing you can do for yourself and the pool. I know it's an out of pocket cost you didn't plan for but I'm willing to bet you spent more than that at the pool store and would continue to spend it. if you have unopened products, can you return them to the pool store? or perhaps sell some of them to help get some money back? In the long run, that kit will pay for itself and save you money by keeping you out of the pool store. Promise.

^^^^^^^. +1000000

You see how the results are and the financial burden of relying on the pool store.

a $77 proper test kit is a STEAL in comparison. Once you factor in that we will send you to buy dirt cheap, generic maintenance chemicals, like $4 a gallon bleach and $7 for 13lbs of baking soda, Said kit will save you trucktons of monies. Each trip to the pool store is $75 to $250. Each trip to Walmart is $28. Maybe less. :)

And feast your eyes on the results that you’ll expect based upon the test kit and the wonderful helpers you now have in your corner. Whether it’s a seasonal pool or a $100k backyard resort, Our stupid clear water is the great equalizer 👇

This is honestly the best thing you can do for yourself and the pool. I know it's an out of pocket cost you didn't plan for but I'm willing to bet you spent more than that at the pool store and would continue to spend it. if you have unopened products, can you return them to the pool store? or perhaps sell some of them to help get some money back? In the long run, that kit will pay for itself and save you money by keeping you out of the pool store. Promise.
I only spent about $40, all products used. So I’m not out too much. Part of me didn’t want to spend it either as my kids start back to school in 2 wks and usually when that happens, it stops getting used. Hopefully after a few wks of not being able to swim much, they will take advantage of it in the evenings after they start, when possible.

Reactions: Newdude
The test kit is good for about 2 years. You realistically can easily stretch that 2.1 years to get the next full 2 seasons.

Reactions: Charity1981
^^^^^^^. +1000000

You see how the results are and the financial burden of relying on the pool store.

a $77 proper test kit is a STEAL in comparison. Once you factor in that we will send you to buy dirt cheap, generic maintenance chemicals, like $4 a gallon bleach and $7 for 13lbs of baking soda, Said kit will save you trucktons of monies. Each trip to the pool store is $75 to $250. Each trip to Walmart is $28. Maybe less. :)

And feast your eyes on the results that you’ll expect based upon the test kit and the wonderful helpers you now have in your corner. Whether it’s a seasonal pool or a $100k backyard resort, Our stupid clear water is the great equalizer 👇
I do look forward to using bleach and cheaper product more. We’ve used bleach in the past and have never had an issue like this that we couldn’t easily clear up.

Reactions: Newdude
Welcome to your first step in the right direction! You are getting expert advise from the top dogs! We all have learned some important lessons the hard way. Until we found TFP we were at the mercy of the local expert at the pool store. First trip was well over $400 for product's we did not need. Had me treating a plaster pool! So much for the expert. Next step should be a good test kit, not the strip's . It will pay for it self in a matter of days. Study up on the 3 B's and keep your chin up! After hearing horror story's about pool up keep, we were concerned about what we bought into. 3 seasons later and the pool is a breeze to keep up with the help of these fine folks at TFP.
Keep asking and you'll get great advise and will be swimming in no time! Enjoy! :cool:

Welcome to your first step in the right direction! You are getting expert advise from the top dogs! We all have learned some important lessons the hard way. Until we found TFP we were at the mercy of the local expert at the pool store. First trip was well over $400 for product's we did not need. Had me treating a plaster pool! So much for the expert. Next step should be a good test kit, not the strip's . It will pay for it self in a matter of days. Study up on the 3 B's and keep your chin up! After hearing horror story's about pool up keep, we were concerned about what we bought into. 3 seasons later and the pool is a breeze to keep up with the help of these fine folks at TFP.
Keep asking and you'll get great advise and will be swimming in no time! Enjoy! :cool:
Sounds very expensive!

what are the 3 B’s?? I haven’t seen that mentioned on here yet!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.