Need help with plumbing advice

Wayhazard

Aug 15, 2018
Houston/Texas
Hi all,
I have a replacement Hayward pump (same model)for my above ground pool and need help to get this bad boy up and running. The previous owner glues the threads on the pipes so I can’t simply remove and place in new pump, going to Home Depot tell me what I need..
I’m new to pools and clueless on piping, I don’t have a problem removing the unions, the line at the 90 degree does not fully stop spilling water due to the main drain and I’m not sure if glue can be used on wet pipes.
Thanks in advance
Eddie

Attachments

sktn77a

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
You're lucky that you have unions on your pimp. Unscrew the fitting that's on the pump and take it to Lowes/Home Depot and either match up the parts yourself or ask for help. They may not have the union coupling - if not you may have to go to a pool store to identify it.

Rich D

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2018
MA
Have you tried a good size pipe wrench to remove the fitting from the pump? It sure looks like pipe dope on there and not glue.

Reactions: jonpcar

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Eddie,

The actual connection to the pump is just threaded into place.. You should be able to unscrew it. You just need a pipe wrench. I really doubt that it is glued into place.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Wayhazard

Wayhazard

Aug 15, 2018
Houston/Texas
Great info guys, I did not have a wrench big enough at the time I just tried by hand like I did for the unions. I will give a update after a few hours, busy busy day!

Thanks!

Rich D

Bronze Supporter
Aug 3, 2018
MA
You sometimes need a pipe wrench just to get the unions apart, but you can see in the pic the previous assembler used some Teflon tape on the union threads. Some mistake this as a attempt to get a better seal but in reality it is simply to lubricate the threads so they do not bind which in turn does give a better seal and "usually" eases in the undoing. If you do the same just be sure not to get any tape on the face of the unions, It only requires a couple of wraps. If the pump is the exact same then you should not need any fittings to do this job. Be unsure to use new pipe dope on the threaded fittings at the pump.

sktn77a

Gold Supporter
May 16, 2010
Chapel Hill, NC
Teflon tape will work but make sure the threads on the fitting are absolutely clean. Regular pipe dope shouldn't be used - use a thread sealer specifically for use with PVC/ABS/CPVC fittings.