Need Help with New Pool Please

Yep, keep SLAMing.

Unfortunately, lack of clarity means you have a lot of CRUD (ie, dead bleached-out algae and organics).

Good circulation/mixing and Filtration is your major problem right now. I think you will really benefit from adding DE to your filter. Also, keep an eye on your filter pressure. I'd backwash at a 20% increase over clean pressure rather than the typical 25% since you need to flush that crud out

When can you add DE?

Once you get clarity that you're happy with and you let the FC drift down to normal, please post a full set of test results including CYA, TA & CH. Id like to see all the experts here weigh in on where you are at with your water's chemical balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wanted to compare the strips since we have them collecting dust

Here are current #
FC 7.6
CC 0.4
PH 7.6 one drop got it to 7.4
TA 220
CH 120
CYA 55 became cloudy b/t 50-60
Pump PSI 9

So we got our CYA too high from 0-55 in a week. As a result need to have a higher FC of 22. Am I right? Water is still blue but cloudy

Thanks in advance for your help.

Never ask for shock level values in a thread, ALWAYS follow this link (bookmark it!) -

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

Yep, 22ppm is your new level. 55ppm CYA is fine, your FC just gets a little more "sunscreen" ;)

Do your dosing after sundown with pumps ruining. Check after 60mins of mixing and then recheck in the AM BEFORE any direct sunlight hits your pool.

And take the "guess"-strips and use them to make bookmarks with.....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Awesome. Post a picture.

Probably need to lower your TA but please don't measure anything while you're at SLAM levels (anything above 10ppm FC) as none of the other results are valid (indicator solutions can bleach out or be chemically altered at high chlorine levels).

Never ask for shock level values in a thread, ALWAYS follow this link (bookmark it!) -

I just have one question about the comment above, I thought the forums were for asking questions? I have been given shock levels earlier in this thread, and I was following the SLAMing instruction and consulted the Chlorine/CYA Chart. However, I wanted to be sure we were following the right plan. This is our first year with a pool, and we are here to learn from those with pool experience. So far we have gotten our green pool to blue and are hoping to get the water clear next.

Last night:

While swimming we did hand clean the ladder and the pool floor and walls.
It was the pool floor under the ladder which the dirtiest area we found and an area the robot cannot reach nor the pool brush.
We did run the pool robot after swimming for just over 2 hours.
We added bleach trying to get the FC to 22, and then we rechecked level one hour later:
FC 18.5
added more bleach

This am:

FC 15
Added more bleach will check again in one hour and work to get FC to 22.

The reason I wrote that was not to be rude or say you shouldn't ask questions. I apologize if it came off that way. What was meant by that was to say you should always look up that kind of information and verify it for yourself as others may read something wrong or forget your CYA number and then you could get bad advice

I'm just a person who always double checks myself and I prefer to see something written down on hard copy. I even wrote down all the suggested levels for my pool and the CYA/FC chart in my pool log book. Others have printed that chart off and laminated it.

Sounds like you found more algae. We should have mentioned ladders and light niches as sources of algae as well. Looks like your doing great though and can't wait to see a sparkly pool picture.

I'm just a person who always double checks myself and I prefer to see something written down on hard copy. I even wrote down all the suggested levels for my pool and the CYA/FC chart in my pool log book. Others have printed that chart off and laminated it.

Yeah...
d67cc380a735d85eb07b3ae45ce38454.jpg

I just found this thread. You are making great progress!

Sunny has you covered!

You are getting close to being done! The last part is the hardest because it does not seem as if anything is happening. What you can do to help you and us see the progress is to take a pic of the water from of the same part. Stand above your steps looking down. Take a pic. The next time take the SAME pic. Hopefully you will be able to see more of the ladder.

It is fun to watch the ladder appear!

It can be done! It just take time and bleach (lots of bleach) BUT when you get it clear you should not have to do this ever again!

Hugs!

Kim

Slowly the ladder is appearing. We were gone and couldn't check the pool until 5:30 this afternoon
FC 8
CC 0.5
Added the robot, added lots of bleach(amount per PoolMath) trying to get to FC 22.
Recheck at 8:30
FC 17
took robot out, leaves and some dirt noted
Added more bleach again per Pool Math
Will recheck in am.
We will swim again this week, and are hopeful for clear water.
We just counted out bottles of bleach added since we began: 34, we are hoping to be done soon.
Even though pump is working great, we will backwash tomorrow afternoon again
I know we are close to getting there, it will be beautiful when we close it, hopefully in a few weeks. So the opening may be easier.....
Again we are thankful for everyone's help and advice!

Yeah, I bet if you can give that filter a little TLC with some DE or cellulose fiber, things will clear up a bit quicker.

Sounds like you're making slow & steady progress. The number of bleach bottles can be incredible. I read SLAM posts where the number of empties was well over a hundred. But, you do what it takes! And then, your pool water is the envy if the neighborhood. If you follow through with this next year, you'll see that TFPC will get your pool water started right and it will stay that way. Then, when your pool friends complain about algae, bad water, etc, you can smirk a little and invite them over to swim at your place.

Keep the posts coming and take pictures if you can.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.