Need help with CYA level

The article & study done by Pulsar was interesting. My main concern is that they did not isolate pH, alkalinity and calcium hardness to determine what individual affect each of those have on plaster etching regardless of CYA levels. Also, they used carbonate alkalinity measurements at fairly high levels which implies that actual TA levels are even higher which are significantly above the recommended ranges for any pool. The study was done 15 years ago and I could not find any follow up so IMHO, they really did not make any conclusive findings regarding CYA effects on plaster.

I think @duraleigh & @mknauss have it right.

The article & study done by Pulsar was interesting. My main concern is that they did not isolate pH, alkalinity and calcium hardness to determine what individual affect each of those have on plaster etching regardless of CYA levels. Also, they used carbonate alkalinity measurements at fairly high levels which implies that actual TA levels are even higher which are significantly above the recommended ranges for any pool. The study was done 15 years ago and I could not find any follow up so IMHO, they really did not make any conclusive findings regarding CYA effects on plaster.

I think @duraleigh & @mknauss have it right.

Oh yes I agree, too and it is quite an old article. I can't help but have that tiny thought in my head asking what if it does since it was brought up by different sources. I respect all of your experiences and advises on here. I'm going to monitor it and see the trend this winter to see how much much cya will go down using just liquid chlorine (so far it hasn't budget yet). I'm starting to wonder of I'm being educated by my pool tech or he was just really trying to scare me about my pool will turn yellow fast without those tabs. Since, I've decided to do this myself from now on. I will have a lot more questions. So glad I found this site! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.