Need help with CYA level

I believe Mark suggested to brush after the exchange while filter pump is back on. Also, I'll be doing a set of test after a few hours so I'm guessing brushing to get the water moving and whatever stuck on plaster out is good?

I calculated wrong on time. I started the exchange at 11:30am yesterday (saturday). I'll be running it until 2:30pm today Texas time. I hope 27hrs is good amount of time to exchange 2/3 + 10% of water volume, with CYA starting at 135-140.

Water exchange is done and filter has been running for 2 hours and then I took the test. My new tests...

Temp:85°
pH: 7.4
FC: 4
TA: 85
CYA: 85
CH: 350

CYA didn't go down as low as I had hoped. Should I have done the exchange lo ger? CYA started at 130. Pool volume is about 10,750 gallon. I used garden hose that pump out about 5 gallon/minutes and I left it on continuously for 27 hours. I placed pump at deep end and fill at near skimmer.

I live in Dallas, TX. Do you think the CYA will go down over the winter month if I have the pool tech not use anymore tablets in the chlorine dispenser?

Do you think the CYA will go down over the winter month if I have the pool tech not use anymore tablets in the chlorine dispenser?
It often does but you cannot take that to the bank. My suggestion would be to leave it at 85 and test it a couple of times this winter to judge the trend. Absolutely no more tabs or you will be right back where you started.

I would like to have seen it lower as well but I don't think I would set up the rig again unless it is super easy to drain another 30%. If it was my pool, I would leave CYA alone and monitor it. Are you going to close (cover) the pool?

It often does but you cannot take that to the bank. My suggestion would be to leave it at 85 and test it a couple of times this winter to judge the trend. Absolutely no more tabs or you will be right back where you started.

I would like to have seen it lower as well but I don't think I would set up the rig again unless it is super easy to drain another 30%. If it was my pool, I would leave CYA alone and monitor it. Are you going to close (cover) the pool?

Thank you. I will do like you said and monitor throughout the winter.

I've read that chlorine level should be 7.5 percent of CYA level. Is that correct? If so, i need to raise my FC to about 6ppm? How do I measure what amount of 12% liquid chlorine to add to raise another 2ppm?

Go to the bottom of the page and click on classic web version of PoolMath. Enter your pool gallons at the top, then enter in the far left "Now" column that you have 4ppm of FC, then in the next column where it says "Target" enter 6....or however much you want. Go all the way to the bottom of the page and tell it you want to follow "Troublefreepool.com", "bleach" and "plaster" for those options. You'll see to the right off the FC area how much to add.

Play around with it. It is a GREAT help to pool owners. Get the App version for your phone, if you desire.

It looks like 45 ounces of 6% will take you up to 6ppm from 4ppm.

Maddie

Go to the bottom of the page and click on classic web version of PoolMath. Enter your pool gallons at the top, then enter in the far left "Now" column that you have 4ppm of FC, then in the next column where it says "Target" enter 6....or however much you want. Go all the way to the bottom of the page and tell it you want to follow "Troublefreepool.com", "bleach" and "plaster" for those options. You'll see to the right off the FC area how much to add.

Play around with it. It is a GREAT help to pool owners. Get the App version for your phone, if you desire.

It looks like 45 ounces of 6% will take you up to 6ppm from 4ppm.

Maddie

Thank you. I like the app! I was messing with it earlier, but couldn't see where it gives me the amount to add. However, I found it now....towards the very bottom left corner! ☺

Another question....

If I decided to keep on just adding liquid chlorine into the pool and not use any tablets, do I need to do a test for everything else, too, everytime I check for FC level?

Another question....

If I decided to keep on just adding liquid chlorine into the pool and not use any tablets, do I need to do a test for everything else, too, everytime I check for FC level?
My recommendation is that do all tests daily for several days if you are new at doing this. It will give you some consistency and confidence. Then you most likely can test FC and pH daily, TA and CH every 5-7 days and CYA as needed. When i started I tested CYA more frequently but once you get it stable then every couple of months should be fine since you now have switched to liquid chlorine. For example, prior to TS Beta coming into Houston area, I tested my CYA, drained 6 inches from the pool and let the 2 1/2 days of rain fill it back up (and more -its at very top of my weir flap in skimmer). I then tested CYA again. My CYA dropped 10 points. If you ever use pucks again (like if you go out of town for several days) then best to test your CYA before and after.

Reactions: Hachu
Thank you, HermanTX.

Ok, please don't judge too harshly as you read this keep in mind that I have not taken care of my pool myself before I'm just nervous to start. I'm just learning, so I still have a pool tech maintained the pool since pool was built. He came by today and he took two tests only. I also told the owner (not the tech) that I have removed the chlorine tablets that was in the chlorinator.

His tests at 10:00am this morning:
pH: 8.1 or 8.2
FC: 1.5
*he then added 1.5lbs of powder shock and 1/2 gallon of 20°Baume muratic acid.

My tests at 7:45aM this morning
pH: above 8
FC: 6.8
TA: 90
CYA: 80

What do you think about what he added? What effect will it have on my pool? I believe my FC test us good, but you know, the pool guy said it is 1.5 FC.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I've attached two pictures that he texted me, but when the tech added it to the pool, I only saw the powder and not the box.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200923-081521_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20200923-081521_Messages.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20200924-163855_Messages.jpg
    Screenshot_20200924-163855_Messages.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 17
That is Cal Hypo. Adds chlorine and Calcium. According to your Poolmath logs, you do not need more Calcium, either.

What was the powder shock? If Cal Hypo, it added calcium. If Dichlor, it added CYA.

I know you said CYA is in the water, not sticking to plasters, but because I told him I did the water exchange and it had brought it down. He told me CYA will creep up because it's also sticks to plasters, and by a month it will be where it was 😯 that made me so nervous...would someone sabotage my pool to prove a point :( just but not kidding. I don't want to believe that.

CYA does not stick to plaster. It is in the water. It will only go up if you add more.

I recommend you sever the services of that individual.

Yes, I really like where my Calcium was at. Will that amount raise calcium hardness up a lot? Is that easier to reduced if high?
That one dose will not raise it much --- check out Effects of Adding Chemicals in your Poolmath app. But continuous usage will raise calcium significantly. Use Liquid Chlorine.

CYA does not stick to plaster. It is in the water. It will only go up if you add more.

I recommend you sever the services of that individual.8
I've ran across a couple of articles regarding CYA on plaster. Have you seen this one?

I also saw it mentioned on www.swimuniversity.com
Screenshot_20200924-172256_Samsung Internet.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.