Need help with a SLAM

Feb 4, 2017
Georgia
I had success SLAMing my pool the first time I tried in 2017 with the help of TFP (I think my original post is still up) but this time I'm having a lot of issues and starting to lose hope. Long story short - in the summer of 2018 my pool motor and booster pump went out. As you can imagine the water left untreated for that long make it turn into a swamp with hundreds of tadpoles, frogs and black water. Well two years later in 2020 I've decided to get everything back in order. I had a pool guy come out and he installed a Sand Filter (replacing my old DE filer) and instead of fixing the booster pump, he recommended a Dolphin robotic pool cleaner which is what I went with. Now 10 days later after starting my SLAM the water is seeming to not improve anymore. I got my pH to 7.4 and my CYA to 40 before starting the slam. I've been maintaining a FC level of 16ppm with cleaning the pool daily. I'm not used to my sand filter and think maybe this is where my issues are stemming from. I also noticed that my two skimmers are not sucking much of anything unless I backwash the filter which I hear you aren't supposed to backwash a sand filter often? Unless I backwash the filter, the skimmers don't get any suction and when I do backwash it only last for a couple of hours before it stops sucking from the skimmers again. Is this normal with a green pool and sand filter? I've also tried priming the pump which helps with the skimmer suction but that only lasts for so long as well. I will attach some pictures, any help would be greatly appreciated. Since starting on June 1st, I've already dumped 38 gallons of pool essentials chlorinating liquid in the pool. Again, I'm losing hope here!

Note:
- Using a Taylor-k 2006 test kit by the way
- the first picture is from June 1st, the second one is from today (June 10th)

june 1.jpg
june 10.jpg

Reactions: splashpad
SUPER YAY!!! for the sand filter conversion and green water pics, Thank you! (I LOVE our sand filter)

Yes the sand filter will need backwashed when the pressure goes 20% over clean pressure (each one has a different clean pressure). With water that dark, you will prob need to backwash more often at first :) Again your skimmer performance will let you know! (As you've already noted)
Once your pool is crystal clear, your sand filter won't need as frequent backwashing :D

Reactions: srodriguez1295
Yes - you may need to backwash more often during a SLAM with that dark of water. Do a full backwash - about 2-3 minutes or until the water runs clear. Then on the "rinse" setting (if you have a MPV) for about 30 seconds to clear out the pipes. Then back to filter. Note your pressure on the pressure valve at that point and when it goes 25% higher, backwash again.

Ah, these are the SLAMs I enjoy the most (sorry, OP)! That initial dark green water, progress pics, and final pic of sparkling clear water is so satisfying!

Your sand filter is doing exactly what it is supposed to do - getting rid of the swamp! As your water gets clearer the need to backwash will lessen - no worries.

:nopic: of the sparkling clean pool!

Great job!

Now for my shameless plug ----

We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP.
We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.