Need help in designing outdoor TV/speaker system

platon20

Bronze Supporter
Oct 13, 2016
DFW/Texas
OK so I'm not ready to pick out actual equipment yet, I just need some help on how the best way to set this up. My main goal is to be able to watch live TV and movies. I don't really care about playing music, because I don't want to disturb the neighbors and I can just use my iphone w/ earbuds for that anyways. I just need basic speakers that will broadcast at a low volume but evenly distributed around the pool, I don't care if the speakers aren't very loud.

This is what I need:
1. Ability to connect to Direct TV receiver (main purpose of TV is to watch live sports)
2. Small speakers spread around pool

Here's what's optional (dont know if I really need this or not or don't particularly care one way or the other):
1. Stream music from iphone?
2. Stream video from amazon/netflix?

Main issues to be considered:

1. I know wired speakers are better than wireless, but again I dont care that much about elite quality, I just want a basic system, will wireless speakers do the job?

2. I'm debating on where to put the speakers, there's a small retaining wall that runs around half the pool, so I was thinking about using that as mounting locations for the speakers, or I could also use the grassy areas behind the walls and just mount them in the ground? I really don't want to do anymore drilling thru rock than I have to.

3. I see only 2 possible TV mounting locations -- the alcove on the rear patio next to the double doors, or the fence where the clock is currently. I think the alcove would be alot easier for several reasons, the main being I can just place most of the AV equipment behind the wall (which is in the garage) and drill a small hole to run the power/AV cables to the TV thru the brick.

4. How many speakers would be good enough to cover the entire pool area with a low-volume consistent audio? Again I don't want anything particularly loud.

Reactions: MyAZPool
What a pretty area you have!! I know it has been a while since you posted this :( I am just now finding it. I have someone who may be able to help you if you still need/want it. Let me know and I will call him in for you.

I have a 20' wide pool with hot tub on the back of that. I use Sonos Play 5. Its wireless and I just plug it in. I have the soundbar in my living room so you can get the audio feed from that for the video. It is plenty loud, easy to control, mobile, and high fidelity sound. I just set on a a patio table.

Ok so u have the tv location covered along with getting equipment to it. So all you need is speaker placement?

So u need some sort of receiver to connect all video sources together so u can hook up speakers.

Sonos has that new unit that has hdmi inputs. U can use that as ur receiver. That way u have all audio streaming too. 200 dollar wonder receivers also have Spotify and pandora built into them now. But app support stinks compared to Sonos I feel.

I would just use 4 rock speakers. Spread em out even. That way u get coverage at low volume.

Keep it simple.

Someone just turned me on to this company:

You can upload pictures or plans of your space, spell out what you want to accomplish, and they can plan it for you. I'm just giving them a try myself now bc I want basically the same setup you are after.

@jimim could you give me some suggestions on what I should do?
I would really like to have a TV on the outside wall of the covered porch of the Pool shed. The kids and I watch YouTube and DVD most of the time via house WiFi or chrome cast. My husband watches football games but that’s when pool will be closed. The shed is at least 50’ away from the house. How do I get reception to the shed? We have plug in extenders in the room nearest to pool/ yard. But we don’t get very good signals in the deck and patio area. I feel pool shed area being 50’ away, would not get any WiFi signals.

Thanks Kim. I appreciate it. :)

Those plug in extenders really aren’t the best. Can u get a wired cat line to ur patio or shed. Even a wire run to somewhere outside ur house where u can mount an outdoor access point? That way you can have a dedicated wired in access pt. That would be the best solution.

If you can’t get a wired cat to Anywhere I would look at mesh network. That way You can have one of the mesh units right by ur patio to outside and then maybe another mesh unit in shed if it reaches then you would have better coverage.

thank you. I will ask the electrician
Those plug in extenders really aren’t the best. Can u get a wired cat line to ur patio or shed. Even a wire run to somewhere outside ur house where u can mount an outdoor access point? That way you can have a dedicated wired in access pt. That would be the best solution.

If you can’t get a wired cat to Anywhere I would look at mesh network. That way You can have one of the mesh units right by ur patio to outside and then maybe another mesh unit in shed if it reaches then you would have better coverage.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.