Need Help: How to remove Purex Light Lens to Replace Bulb

Chappy

May 28, 2008
Central Texas
Morning folks. I'm trying to swap out the old bulb in this beauty to an LED, but I'm not sure how to remove the gasket around the lens to take it apart. Any advise? Do I just rip the old gasket out and get a new one? It seems pretty tight on there and doesn't want to easily come off. Also, any advice for cleaning up the old outer ring that's very corroded? Thanks.

IMG_1694.jpgIMG_1696.jpgIMG_1695.jpg

Well replacing the entire light is an expensive proposition. I just wanted to upgrade the bump to a color-changing LED version. But, I can't seem to get the gasket off the glass. Just not sure if I will damage anything in doing so, or would have trouble finding a replacement gasket for such an older light.

Also, wondering if someone can inform me how a brand new light would work since it seems like they are all sold with cords. Can you not just replace the old fixture with a new one, and use the existing cord coming out of the pool light cavity? Seems like if not, it would require a bunch of digging up concrete to run a new cord to a power source, etc. Or is that how things are done with a brand new light fixture?

Thanks again.

Well replacing the entire light is an expensive proposition. I just wanted to upgrade the bump to a color-changing LED version. But, I can't seem to get the gasket off the glass. Just not sure if I will damage anything in doing so, or would have trouble finding a replacement gasket for such an older light.

Also, wondering if someone can inform me how a brand new light would work since it seems like they are all sold with cords. Can you not just replace the old fixture with a new one, and use the existing cord coming out of the pool light cavity? Seems like if not, it would require a bunch of digging up concrete to run a new cord to a power source, etc. Or is that how things are done with a brand new light fixture?

Thanks again.
Yes, lights are expensive. You also have an appliance that uses 120V sitting in highly conductive water that you then mix with family and friends. You get one chance to do it right.
A light in that condition should be replaced. New fixtures come as a unit, fixture and cord together. Usually the new cord is spliced to the old after the old fixture is cut off and then pulled through the conduit to the junction box. You have to order the correct length corded light. Always go longer as you can't safely splice a pool-light cord.
There should be a GFCI in the light circuit.
You can pry the lens off the ring with a small flat-blade screwdriver. The gasket has to be replaced. The face-ring can also be replaced. About $75.00, still available. DO NOT repair that light if there is no GFCI for the safety of people.

Reactions: gkw4815 and Chappy
Is your light fixture's lens orange? If so, a color-changing LED light wouldn't really produce the desired effect.

Another vote for replacing the light fixture, that one looks sketchy to say the least. I believe a standard Pentair Amerilite would fit your existing niche, and would accommodate a screw-in LED color-changing bulb. About $300-400 for the fixture, not cheap, but MUCH cheaper than an Intellibrite 5G and should last for decades. Worth it IMO for the peace of mind.

I've replaced one of my old incandescent fixtures with a new Amerilite, about a 60 ft pull through the existing conduit, wasn't too difficult with a pull string tied to the old light fixture wire. Just be careful not to slice your finger on that metal tab at the top of the light niche, I learned that one the hard way...

Reactions: Chappy