Need help finding leak

depassp

May 6, 2019
Ottawa
I could use some help finding a leak in my semi-inground vinyl pool. It's losing about 150gal/day with the pump running.

As per this Leak Detection article, I've run a few tests.

I've sealed off my skimmer and only return (an AquaGenie) and tracked the water loss in the vessel and in the skimmer itself. The vessel is not leaking but the water level in the skimmer dropped by about half an inch.

I dropped some food colouring inside the skimmer:

It's hard to tell but I think there's a line of water running along the left side. I can't really tell.

I also ran some food colouring tests outside the skimmer, hoping to catch a leak in a gasket or a crack in the skimmer itself somewhere:

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20190603_193511.jpg
    IMG_20190603_193511.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_20190602_191630.jpg
    IMG_20190602_191630.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 6
Have you turned the pump off and just let the water stand? If so, where dies it stop Ariana the skimmer? Anderson’s sells lots of epoxy or tubes of sealant that can fix any issues.

Yes, I turned off the pump for 24 hours. The water difference inside the skimmer is shown here:
img_20190603_193511-jpg.105102

I don't see any cracks inside the skimmer. I can't really see around the mouth of the skimmer, nor under the weir door. I tried to remove the weir door but it seems to be jammed in there pretty good and I don't want to break it.

The AquaGenie skimmer was indeed leaking. Found a steady drip:

I drained the pool below the skimmer, took it apart and found a crack in the middle of the orifice plate (high pressure return).

My local pool store has the gaskets on order so I'm waiting for parts. That ended up being a good thing though because while waiting I found that I was wrong and the vessel itself is also leaking. The water level dropped another 2 feet in 4 days.

I took a walk around inside and inspected around where the water has settled (about 2 feet from the bottom).

I did find what I think is a tear at the bottom in the shallow end. It feels like there is no sand beneath the tear, like a small pit. It's right above my toe:

I have a few questions:
  1. Is this worth patching/repairing? The pool is 9 years old and I believe this is the original liner
  2. Is it possible/reasonable to replace the skimmer gaskets with the old liner still in place, and have everything actually seal up waterproof again?

Last edited:
I patched it and the water level in the pool seems to be holding.

I glued some vinyl "samples" from my local pool store to reinforce the area around the skimmer.

I applied Goop (silicone adhesive) to both sides of all 3 gaskets of the AquaGenie and sealed it up.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.