Need Advice Please: Small Hole in Inground Liner

mickey4paws

Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2009
S.E. MI
Hi everyone,
As the title says, we have a small hole (well actually 1 small holes, and 2 smaller holes) in our inground pool liner. Picture below. The liner is 16 years old so it will being replaced most likely next spring. The pool is rectangular. However, the hole is in the corner. The corners are 90 degrees, but the top is stretched across so it does not sit on the wall itself. As you can see, that corner is starting to rot and that's the corner that gets all the sun, plus our Dolphin robotic cleaner tends to get stuck in corners so we have to set it not to climb the walls. The holes are above the water line.

So in the meantime, we want to patch these small holes and wonder what is best method. I did find a piece of the original liner that was kept in a ziplock bag, along with a Boxers Adhesive vinyl glue (never been opened, still has metal seal on) and a dauber. I'm sure the unopened tube of glue is past its useful lifetime, but wonder if we should use the original liner piece, or use vinyl that comes with a kit.

My husband likes the idea of a kit that would have pre-glued vinyl because of ease of use. I found they sell Gorilla waterproof tape. We did use a similar type of patch for a winter cover and it didnt' work well at all. So I wonder if we're better off to get a kit that has glue, or buy a better glue by itself and either use the original liner piece or vinyl from a kit. I don't care what the fix looks like, just so long as it works.

I also read a post somewhere where a person used a wallpaper smoother to smooth the patch. I have no idea if that would be a good idea or not. Feeling kind of lost here and would greatly appreciate any help. I was thinking of going to Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart or local Leslie's. I just want to get the best product for our need. Thanks!

Last edited:
I am not sure what patch you use matters since you only need it to hold for about 3 months. You know your liner is at the end of its life.

Reactions: mickey4paws
I would use what you have in the box. Boxer is one of the best patches out there. With the tube not being opened I bet the glue is just fine. It is the air and such that cause it to go off so..........not opened should = still good. Worth a try. I would NOT use the wallpaper smoother as you do not want to take any chances of making the hole bigger. Good luck!

Thank you both so much. I agree that the glue would still be good but stubborn husband insisted we buy a new tube of it so it should be here tomorrow from Amazon. From what I've been reading, they say to cut your vinyl patch round, and about 3/4" bigger than the hole. Then after it sets up, cut another round piece of vinyl and put it over the first patch. I don't know if that's right or not. I just want it to last the season which for us ends in mid September. If it holds now, I'm hoping it would last over the winter when the pool is closed, and then have our PB put the new one in April, although he may want to do it in September before closing. We knew the liner was going to need replacing soon as it is was installed in 2003.

Thanks too, Kim, about the wallpaper smoother. I'm already afraid of this hole getting bigger.

Well now to go obsess over a new liner pattern :eek:

That is how we do it.......cut the patch rounded. No "sharp" edges or points. Cut it so it covers the hole with some extra on all the way around. THEN cut the other patch bigger than the first one. Again using rounded edges.

Good luck!!! Do not allow anyone to hang round in that area to be on the extra safe side!

Kim:kim:

Thanks, Kim, I really appreciate it. Do you put the 2nd patch on right after doing the 1st patch? The plan is to do the patching tonight. It's supposed to rain tomorrow of course. Just hope that doesn't make the glue not stick. I'm wondering if we should put a small tarp across the coping to keep as much rain out as possible. This is what is says from the Amazon listing: "Do not disturb patch for at least 48 hours. Allow 4-7 days for full cure."

I put the patches on with 2 hours between them. I did not even read the directions opps!! I would put the tarp over that area to keep the water from splashing up. It can't hurt anything and might even do some good.

Kim:kim:

Thanks, Kim! Directions, what are those? :) Well...thought we were going to do the patch when I get home from work. However, I got an email from Amazon saying UPS attempted delivery. UPS always leaves packages and my husband said he never heard the door bell ring either. So I called Amazon to see if UPS would bring the package back out. They said once they attempt delivery, it just goes to the next day and of course tomorrow we're supposed to get rain all day. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait. One good thing, Amazon gave me a refund for my troubles and are still sending the package. I think we should just use the 16 year old glue!

just an Update: Finally got the kit from Amazon. Put the 1st patch on at 6:30 p.m this past Wednesday. By 10:30 p.m. it was raining really hard and lasted for a few days. We did put the tarp over the corner of the coping, hoping to keep some rain off the patch. Made the next patch a little bigger and put that on last night.

That Boxers is some serious glue. The dauber is attached to the inside cover of the can and looks like the size of a golf ball, lol. I had to make the 1st patch pretty small because just above the hole is a seem from the liner's border. Even though I had latext gloves on, somehow I managed to get glue on my arm.

Anyway, so far it seems to be holding and I wanted to thank you again for all your help. You're the best!

Reactions: kimkats

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.