NEED ADVICE please! Filter issue/replacement

Cody

Bronze Supporter
Aug 17, 2014
Prosper, TX
I have a Jandy DEV 60 filter. About a month ago I noticed water on my concrete pad around the filter, but couldn't find any moving down the body. Had local pool guy out, he performed a deep clean of the filter (it was time anyway). Once back up to pressure the leak started again.

His theory is there is a small crack at the bottom part of the filter that only leaks when under pressure. Makes sense to me.

So now I have a couple of decisions to make:

1) replace bottom half of the current setup. Quote is about $1100.

2) replace entire filter with the same model. Quote is about $1850

3) replace entire filter with a different type of filter (this is where you guys come in!!!)

What would you do? Would you stick with DE? Is there a better option? If sticking with DE, would you do partial or full replacement?

Also -- I'm open to seeing if my guy can just do the install and I get the equipment myself if that's an option. I'm thinking about Margaret at Marina with the robot....I learned about her here, and saved a bunch of money....I've sent several people her way as well. If there a place to get filters that would save substantial money?

Thanks in advance....this community is awesome so of course this is the first place I came.

Cody

I have never used a DE filter but am a cartridge filter fan since switching from a sand filter years ago. I have a hayward but I honestly am not sure one brand cartridge is better then the next..
Trick is get the biggest one you have room for and can afford.

If your looking to save a few bucks you could buy the exact same DE filter online and save and do it your self..Should be a easy swap

Cody,

Here is my "DE filter" story...

I have two rent house pools that both have DE filters. When we build the pool at my house, I really, really wanted another DE filter. Unfortunately, the city requires that all DE and sand filters be plumbed to the sewer. It would have been impossible, or very costly, to plumb to the sewer, so I had to "accept" a large cartridge filter. Sigh!!

Well, that was about 8 years ago and there is no way I will ever go back to a DE filter. It is virtually impossible for you to look at my pool water and tell if I have a DE filter or a cartridge filter. Plumbing is dirt simple as there is no MPV valve to leak or go bad. The back pressure is almost zero. I could go all year between cleanings, but my OCD makes me clean it twice a year. Cartridges should last about 10 years or so.

I guess my point is you only know what you know. I had only used DE filters and "assumed" that they were better. I was wrong (again)..

Now I can hardly wait for the rent house DE filters to crack so I will be forced to replace them with larger cartridge filters.

I will never, ever buy a DE filter again.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: markayash
Wow...these responses are eye opening. Since I am currently plumbed for DE (to the sewer etc as mentioned above), does that complicate the install of a cartridge filter?

Also, I use I aqualink.....so do i need to stay with Jandy (assuming they make a cartridge option)?

Maybe dumb questions, but I figure someone here has done this.

Wow...these responses are eye opening. Since I am currently plumbed for DE (to the sewer etc as mentioned above), does that complicate the install of a cartridge filter?

Also, I use I aqualink.....so do i need to stay with Jandy (assuming they make a cartridge option)?

Maybe dumb questions, but I figure someone here has done this.

Cartridge filters do not have any of the complications of DE. They are a breeze to plumb. In and out and done. No multiport, no waste to drain. And you only need to clean them like 2x per year. That may vary but that is all I clean them.

It doesn't matter what brand you get they have no electronics in them purely mechanical.

Reactions: markayash
Any of you ever ordered equipment (cartridge filter in this case) online? As I mentioned before, I have a robot connection thanks to TFP.....do i need an equipment connection?

Also....I can google this but will ask here as well. I've only had DE filter....it's my only experience. For the uneducated, what are the main differences between DE and Cartridge filters?

Any of you ever ordered equipment (cartridge filter in this case) online? As I mentioned before, I have a robot connection thanks to TFP.....do i need an equipment connection?

Also....I can google this but will ask here as well. I've only had DE filter....it's my only experience. For the uneducated, what are the main differences between DE and Cartridge filters?

Main difference between the two filters is DE requires regular maintenance and cartridge requires almost none. Filter cartridges start the season clean and I clean them again after opening when most of the pollen is done. They don't get cleaned again until the pool is winterized. That takes probably an hour total for my 4 cartridges. Pop the top off the filter and the 4 cartridges are sitting right there. Pull them out, clean them, put them back, put the top back on, done.

Cartridges last 5 years or so and cost around $200 for a set. I got mine on sale for $140 but prices have gone up.

Cartridge filters don't get backwashed so you don't need a multiport valve (to break). And of course you don't need to add DE to the skimmers. The pressure almost never goes up but if it does, then you'd clean them again as well.

I equate it as the same as switching from liquid chlorine to a saltwater chlorine generator. You'll wonder why you didn't switch sooner.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
I have bought my cartridge filters off eBay and My heater from Amazon.
A cartridge filter is so simple so if it’s a good seller no real risk IMHO.
In fact my Hayward filter had a cracked valve ( broke in shipping ) and I emailed Hayward and they mailed me one.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, leaning heavily to cartridge filter.

Couple more questions:

Just confirming.....is it fine for me to go with Hayward even though everything else I have is Jandy (including automation with iAqualink)?

And -- for my 20k gallon pool, is there a specific size i need to get? 425 sq ft filter (W3C4030) is $1299 or 525 sq ft (W3C5030) is $1599....then will have to get it installed.

Yes you can get any brand cartridge filter.
I have a 23k pool and the Hayward 425 and it’s a good size. We always say go big so your call in size but either one should be find

How much “ tree junk” do you get in your pool. I am surrounded by trees and clean mine about 3 times a year but could get by with 2.

You will like it. If you keep your water clear using the TFP values cleaning it is easy.

One trick I learned here is during pollen season is use hair nets on my slimmer baskets. Catch’s a lot of junk before it gets to the filter.

Reactions: guinness
Got the Jandy 460 installed. The DE filter had a crack at the very bottom of the tank, which was causing it to leak when under pressure. Was really hard to see, but we finally found it when they removed that one.

I'm happy to be rid of dealing with DE. I figure that if I keep my chemistry right I'll never notice a difference, except that this one is easier to clean/service.

Thanks for all your comments! This site is awesome.

Got the Jandy 460 installed. The DE filter had a crack at the very bottom of the tank, which was causing it to leak when under pressure. Was really hard to see, but we finally found it when they removed that one.

I'm happy to be rid of dealing with DE. I figure that if I keep my chemistry right I'll never notice a difference, except that this one is easier to clean/service.

Thanks for all your comments! This site is awesome.

Fantastic news! Post pics of the happy event! We love pics!

Reactions: Newdude
One thing to be aware of is with a big cartridge filter your pressure will hardly jump up when they are dirty.
Might may jump from 4psi to 5 or 6 is really dirty

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.