NEED ADVICE please! Filter issue/replacement

I am a Newby here but I have a DE filter and would love nothing more than to get a Cartridge filter. From all my reading a DE filter filters down to 3 Microns, a Cartridge to 40 microns and a sand to 100 microns. I just cannot give up that kind of efficiency. I am actually thinking of getting a larger DE filter to filter even more water faster.

I have super crystal clear water and want that all the time. When I did have a mustard algae bloom (before I found this place and my CYA was 120 and my FC was a 3-4PPM) it was handled in 4 days. My neighbor, seasoned pool guy, was totally blown away at the rapid clearing. Yes, the filter needs to be cleaned. I do it when the pressure goes up and the backway wont keep it low, or after I clog it up removing phosphates. Usually 1-2 times a season. The process takes 20-30 minutes now that I am practiced.

Although I don't have experience with other filter types, the numbers don't lie. It DE a little more work - Yes, is it the best-Yes. (proved by the numbers)

I saw cartridge at 10-15 microns on a few sites. I believe I read that anything below 35 microns is not visible to the human eye. My water chemistry is great so my expectation is that the crystal clear water will continue to be crystal clear water. :)

Also, if you are following TFP guidelines you don't have to worry about those algae blooms anymore!

I'm very happy to have changed....never liked messing with DE, backwashing, more frequent cleaning etc. But of course each of us will choose the best option for us.

Reactions: markayash
It's 5 / 10 / 30 microns between the 3. But then the crud captured filters finer crud so the sand filter catches up to the other 2 pretty quick IMO. In the end, the debris from your yard will decide how low you'll filter, regardless of which style you went with.

Besides, If anyone can see 5 / 25,400 of an inch, and point them out to me, I'll buy drinks all night.

Reactions: markayash
I saw cartridge at 10-15 microns on a few sites. I believe I read that anything below 35 microns is not visible to the human eye. My water chemistry is great so my expectation is that the crystal clear water will continue to be crystal clear water. :)

Also, if you are following TFP guidelines you don't have to worry about those algae blooms anymore!

I'm very happy to have changed....never liked messing with DE, backwashing, more frequent cleaning etc. But of course each of us will choose the best option for us.
I am really on the fence, I have a Progrid 3620 and was planning an upgrade to a 4820 or 6020 progrid to increase the filtering. I love that my DE filter catches even the finest phosphate fall out that my buddies sand filter misses. And I hate that the phosphates clog up my DE filter leading me to break it down and clean (1-2 per season so every 6-8 weeks). I figure a bigger DE filter would be better. All my reading is that the DE is far superior to a cartridge filter. Perhaps I am wrong or I read old material and yours is new tech?

I am glad you are happy and I will keep researching.

Thanks for giving me your experience so I can keep researching.

If you need ultra fine filtering jacks sells a filter fiber you can add to your cartridge filter. I used it once doing an iron removal and it did help.
That’s the only time I used it and my water stays clear.

Everybody has their own preference so get the style you like :)

I love that my DE filter catches even the finest phosphate fall out that my buddies sand filter misses
Not a filter on earth would filter phosphates(its a molecule), that is a bogus statement. Large filter area is of course better. If you mean the floculant or precipitate that results form phosphate treatment ok.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Not a filter on earth would filter phosphates(its a molecule), that is a bogus statement. Large filter area is of course better. If you mean the floculant or precipitate that results form phosphate treatment ok.
You miss understood me and perhaps I was not clear.

I add Orenda PR10000 to my pool when I have high phosphates. That in turn makes them fall out of the water into a gray granular dust. The majority gets into the filter but some hits the floor. For that dust if I mix it up off tbe bottom with my broom during my regular brushing gets caught in the filter.

I did not mean to insinuate it removes phosphates.

You miss understood me and perhaps I was not clear.

I add Orenda PR10000 to my pool when I have high phosphates. That in turn makes them fall out of the water into a gray granular dust. The majority gets into the filter but some hits the floor. For that dust if I mix it up off tbe bottom with my broom during my regular brushing gets caught in the filter.

I did not mean to insinuate it removes phosphates.

If you can see it, a cartridge filter will do just as well.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.