Hi all - my current heater (400K natural gas BTU Jacuzzi, 2013), seems to be done (changed a part 2x and should've put the repair costs towards a new one). My pool is roughly 30,000 gallons in-ground with a hot tub. I'm located in near SF in the East Bay - our area stays a few degrees cooler than the Concord area so our pool doesn't naturally stay as warm as our friends over there.

I don't normally heat the pool anyway, but am thinking about the future (in case we move/rent). We've got solar on the house, but not for the pool.

1) How many BTUs do I really need? I saw someone on another thread write that people often get heaters that heat the spa but their pools aren't economical to heat. Do I need 400K?
2) I've tried to find an answer on whether or not an electric heater exists today that could do the trick, but can't seem to find anything. Does anyone know?
3) Is a heat pump an option for me at all? Thinking especially about whether or not I could use it to heat the hot tub in the winter when it's definitely below 50 at night.

Thanks in advance for any input here! Saw some good sales on Leslie's for a gas heater, just not sure if I should stick with gas or try and make electric work (knowing I may need electrical updates, not sure).

With 30,000 gallons and a hot tub a gas heater is best.

With 30,000 gallons and a hot tub a gas heater is best.
Hi - thanks for that. With no interest in heating the pool because of the cost, but not opposed to having the option, what BTUs should I go for minimum? Stick with 400K? I know it's about how quickly it'll heat up, but anything else I should consider? I'll probably have Leslie's come out and give me a site eval and see what they recommend as well, as I don't know any other installers in my area.

Also, something new I've seen in my searches is low NOX - is that something I could go for?

399K BTU is the same as 400K BTU.

All those numbers are approximate anyway.

Does your pool have automation? If so, getting the same brand heater as your automation makes sense. Otherwise you might consider newer Pentair or Raypak units that have built in WiFi control.