NC Rural Pool Build "Where to begin?"

Hello all,

I am having my first onsite visit next friday, and have no clue as to what equipment I should be asking for or what questions I need to ask. I have been researching general information for pool installations and found tons of information as you all already know. Can someone break it down "barney " style what should be at the top of my list of questions when speaking with a pool builder?

We are leaning towards a medium sized Freeform/ Mountain lake style vinyl liner pool with salt system.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Re: NC Rural Pool Build "Where to begin?"

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Pool School - Before You Build

I would suggest getting a proposal from more than one pool builder and then post up the proposal (we do not need names or prices) and we can provide you feedback on what they propose.

At a minimum, you will want a Variable Speed pump, a SWCG rated for twice your pool volume and as large a filter as you can get.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you add what state or country 'Stovall' is in?

Other topics to decide-->
1) Is this a play only pool, or do you want to be able to actually swim in it? Playpools tend to be more shallow. I personally prefer deeper pools and feel they're safer. You can decide how much shallow and how deep you want to go.

2) Are you set on vinyl lined? Have you considered fiberglass?

3) Automation- simple timers or full fancy automation? One way to trim the budget is go simple timer, esp. if your VSP (variable speed pump) has its own timer.

4) Diving board? Slide?? A diving board requires deeper than 6' water depth, a slide can often get by with 6'. Make sure when your pool builder says "6 feet" he means water height and not wall height!!

I'll add more as I think of some. Marty gave you a good start.

Maddie :flower:

Thank you,

I am looking to get a decent sized pool while also allowing plenty of additional patio space, so as far as budget I believe vinyl is going to be my best bet. I don't plan on having a diving board or a slide. I guess yes, this is considered a play pool, but would like to be able to swim not a 4 ft all around type if that is what you are asking.

So had my first site visit today, should have the estimate by next week! Originally we were leaning towards a mountain pond, but after talking to the builder he suggested the lagoon since we would have a large shallow area for the kids and still a deeper section to swim in.

Here is a rendering I did for the pool and location. The back of the house and deck is off the ground about 4 feet on the one end, but had to pay to use the elevation feature. Anyway you guys get the gist of it.

Any tips you all could provide?

The house faces the south. So the pool essentially gets full sun all day, which the PB said would mean we could probably get and extended season. Also, I put the picnic table area behind the house so we could get some shade and relief from the sun.
pool render.jpg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So today I received the quote, here is the bid from PB1

18'x 37 x 29' Lagoon Vinyl lined
Steel Walls
Vinyl over stairs
Pentair variable speed
Pentair easy touch control
3 LED glowbrite low voltage
Pentair sand filter
Aquabot 1500 Robotic
IC-40 Salt Generator
2 skimmers, 3 returns, set of main drains, stainless ladder and hand rail, cleaning equipment,salt and startup chems
and installation.
= $26,535

patio 1100 sq ft broomed concrete
coping stamped concrete
250 lf 48" black aluminum fencing w two gates

$49,427.00

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Model numbers for all of the equipment please. There are many different pumps and such. From low to high so........that is very important info to have in writing up front. That helps when looking at each bid.

We really can't speak of the price as each area is do different even in the same town depending on which side it is on if the town is big enough.

Kim:kim:

Model numbers for all of the equipment please. There are many different pumps and such. From low to high so........that is very important info to have in writing up front. That helps when looking at each bid.

We really can't speak of the price as each area is do different even in the same town depending on which side it is on if the town is big enough.

Kim:kim:

Yeah, I responded back with that question. Thank you

Also, you touched on something I am having an issue with. There are practically no pool builders that service my area. After calling them, I have luckily been able to find this one that Kwhite recommended.

Do the deck yourself. $7bucks a sq foot for stamped concrete is the norm in Texas. Your guy is high. Same for the fence. You can save a lot there.
I still think your pool price is high. Big money for a liner pool, I've never priced one out, but had one in a home years ago and never again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.