Naturesoft / Hayward T-15 cell

Aug 8, 2018
Goodyear Az
Pool Size
The system was showing 2200 ppm yesterday. Lights for low salt and inspect cell both flashing. No chlorine being generated. Cleaned cell, though not bad buildup at all. Had the water tested and they (local pool store) said salt was at 3200. They tested cell and said it is working but that doesn't tell how well. Added cya (about 5 lbs) and shock (2 bags) at their recommendations.
Today system shows 2500 ppm, lights for low salt and check cell still flashing but says chlorine IS being generated (so far).
Question: Is the low reading of the salt likely from the cell going bad? I think the cell is nearing 5 yrs old.
Any advice? Thanks for sharing your knowledge. :)

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

If the cell is clean, then the low salt reading compared to independent testing is a sign of a failing cell.

Note we do not trust pool store testing, not that you reported any results, but why add 5 pounds of CYA? Why 2 bags of shock and what was the actual ingredient?
TFP's foundation is only adding what your pool needs based on accurate test results from one of the recommended test kits (not pool store testing).

was gone for a week on mini vacation. When we returned pool had algae spots throughout. Tested water and levels of cya and chlorine were at 0. Added calcium hypochlorite (HTH brand shock) to quick kill algae. Cya at rate on bag for 12-14k pool. My test kit is basic and only shows chlorine and Ph. Use pool store test (about every other week or so) for anything else Suggestions for a more complete test kit?

was gone for a week on mini vacation. When we returned pool had algae spots throughout. Tested water and levels of cya and chlorine were at 0. Added calcium hypochlorite (HTH brand shock) to quick kill algae. Cya at rate on bag for 12-14k pool. My test kit is basic and only shows chlorine and Ph. Use pool store test (about every other week or so) for anything else Suggestions for a more complete test kit?
At the time of return is when all the lights were flashing and no chlorine was being generated.

I think you have to recalibrate/reset the hayward control and make sure the correct cell is what the control has. Get yourself the right testing kit TF100 and the salinity kit ,Taylor 1766. Then you'll be sure the cell is toast.

Agree with the above, TF-100 from tftestkits.net and the Taylor salt kit ... then no need to go to the pool store.

Note that if you had algae, a little cal-hypo is not going to eradicate it. We recommend following the SLAM Process

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.