Nasty, "rancid" smell in spa water will not go away-- possibly due to very low FC for several days?

Squirtle

Mar 25, 2020
Mountain View, CA
I've been using the dichlor/bleach method in my spa for about 3 months (CYA ~35 ppm). I've generally been diligent with the bleach (using Walmart "Great Value" 6%), but there have been a few times where I forgot for a few days and the FC got very low, possibly down to 0. Whenever this occurred I immediately added more FC to the tub, but only slightly more than the regular amount-- 3-4 oz. (I would typically add 2 oz on an off day, which is ~5ppm FC for my 260 gallon tub)

In the last few weeks, I've noticed an odor has developed that seems to be resistant to normal sanitation methods. It's not trichloramine, which I recognize. Instead it's an almost rancid smell. You can't smell it when you're in the tub, but you can smell it once most of the water evaporates off the body after a soak. If I dip my hand in the water and let it dry for about a minute, the odor is quite noticeable. This odor has persisted despite my keeping an FC of >2ppm at all times in the water for the past several weeks.

Has anybody dealt with this problem before? What is this odor and is there any way to get rid of it short of a refill? My leading hypothesis is that these are oxidation-resistant bacterial byproducts that were formed during the aforementioned periods of low FC. The pinned dichlor/bleach post says:

There are really two main things happening when your pool/tub is being sanitized. Organic waste is being oxidized, and bacteria/viruses are being killed. Chlorine does both, very well. That's why it's the most popular sanitizer in pools and spas. However, in order for chlorine to be effective there needs to be a Free Chlorine (FC) level in your tub at all times. If it drops to zero, bacteria will multiply within hours. So the number one rule with using chlorine as a sanitizer is, never let it drop to Zero for any length of time. Now lets get started on the procedure.

So perhaps bacteria multiplied very quickly over a few days and generated a lot of nasty chemical waste.

More generally, is there some way to safely restore spa water that has sat at low FC for an extended period? If so, how much sanitizer is needed? And if not, why not? If you can sanitize creek water for drinking with chlorine tablets, I would think one would be able to sanitize spa water for soaking.

Sounds like your spa needs a good cleaning with Aahsome.

@Ahhsomeguy

High TDS (total dissolved solids) can cause odors as well
If a doctor told you "air makes you sick" you would rightly call him a quack. If he said "well, it is the viruses in the air that make you sick, so air makes you sick" you would rightly get up and walk out.

Yet in the pool industry somehow the concept of "TDS causes X" isn't met with the ridicule it deserves...

All that said, purge and drain is the easiest way to correct problems in a small body of water. So on that we agree.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your feedback. A few comments:

- Before my last refill (approximately three months ago), I did a thorough purge with Ahh-some (I did get some biofilm discharge, but not too much-- the tub is about a year old). So I don't think biofilm in the inner plumbing is the problem.
- I agree with @Donldson that there is no reason to think that TDS alone would cause odors. Also, there is no reason my tub would have particularly high TDS after 3 months (use hasn't been particularly heavy).
- I am confident I can fix this problem with a refill but I am specifically looking for alternative solutions. According to @chem geek , dichlor/bleach method should significantly extend the life of my spa water-- I was hoping to get 6 months out of this fill.

Let me reiterate my original questions:

- What happens when a spa has ~0 FC for several straight days? What is the proper procedure to "restore" the water after this? If you have an answer, please try to justify it-- if you think for instance that I need to raise the FC to 10ppm for a week, can you explain where these numbers come from?
- Has anyone else experienced a light but "rancid" spa odor, and if so how did you solve it? It's almost like stinky feet.

You have a small spa like mine. I would SLAM it for a day or two then Ahhsome it right before you drain and refill. In theory, you should drain and refill four times a year anyway, especially if you have heavy bather load. I don't have a big bather load in mine, I am about the only one who uses it-- so I do it about 2x a year. I should do it 3x a year. But 250 gallons of water drain and refill is a couple of hours of work and then overnight to heat it back up. It's not a big deal. I've run mine down to zero once.. I guess I was lucky. Now that I have a SWCG on the pool, it's pretty easy to forget to add LC on the hot tub.

I would say that the reason you have rancid water and stinky feet is because you did not oxidize the water and therefore you have that organic waste on your dried skin.
Best to drain now and use an oxidizer at least once a week to remove the sweat and oils from bathers.

@Tres Gatos I'm considering adding an MPS-based oxidizer (like the "spa oxidizing shock" you recommend), but I'm wondering whether this is actually useful. Happy to be corrected on this, but to my knowledge the only good reason to use MPS in a chlorine spa is if you want a lot of oxidizing/sanitizing power without raising FC to uncomfortably high levels (for instance, if you're having a party with a lot of people in the tub). But I'm willing to raise FC as high as necessary. You say that I "did not oxidize the water", but chlorine is a powerful oxidant. Are there certain chemical species that are resistant to oxidation by chlorine but susceptible to MPS?

BTW for anyone interested in this thread, I'm holding the FC around ~10ppm for a couple of days without using the tub to see if this solves the issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Chlorine if used properly is an effective oxidizer. Probably more so than MPS. I have stopped using MPS because it tends to build up "solids" in the water faster and seems to make balancing the water more difficult sooner. The same with Dry acid. I have to be careful to only add an ounce or two of bleach and literally teaspoons of Muriatic acid but I find I can go far longer between water changes than using the "traditional" spa chemicals. Dry acid is great for getting scale off of sink drains though, so that is all I use it for anymore. :)

Here's what I've concluded: the smell I was noticing was the smell of oxidation byproducts on my skin. After getting out of the tub, particularly if the session has been brief (or if you dip your hand in for a minute or so) there are still oils etc on your skin, along with droplets of chlorinated water. As water evaporates, the concentration of chlorine in the remaining water on the skin is going to go up, which will speed up chemical reactions. That is why the smell only starts after 20 or so seconds of evaporation after getting out of the tub.

Evidence in favor of this theory is that, if I wash my hand very thoroughly before dipping it in the tub, there is virtually no smell when I withdraw it. This suggests that the water itself doesn't contain a key component of the smell.

I don't know why I only started noticing the smell recently-- maybe there is something about the water chemistry after a few months of use that speeds up these reactions. Or maybe I just hadn't noticed before. In any case, I feel like the mystery is solved to my satisfaction.

This old thread has some more on the possible science behind this phenomenon:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.