Nasty Black Pool Inherited from Home Purchase

It's really looking beautiful! I love the rope light. Kinda got me thinking with that one. Maybe I would like that in my yard!

I don't remember you mentioning this but have you done/passed the OCLT?

There are 3 checkpoints to pass before you officially stop a SLAM and one of them is the OCLT (Overnight Chlorine Loss Test) the other 2 are that your CC is .5 or less and your water is clear.

The "unfortunate" thing is that the OCLT requires precision in that in order to pass you have to lose no more than 1 FC overnight which means you need the FAS/DPD supplies! You'd test just after dark and again just before dawn. Since you are removing sun from the equation you are "proving" that there are no longer any organics in your pool consuming your chlorine.

I'm mainly telling you so that you can be extra careful. Make sure you definitely don't let your FC get below the recommended level for your CYA (By making sure that when you dose for maintenance you give yourself enough room to still be above the lowest FC for your CYA the next time you test and dose.)

And...keep a very close eye on it. Order whatever refills you need and maybe run an OCLT just to be sure when they come in.

I'd hate to see you stop your SLAM just shy of passing all 3 tests and then end up with an issue.

Remember for maintenance that the lower FC number suggested from pool math is the number that you NEVER want to let it go below. So if your suggested range is 3-7 I'd be shooting for 6-7 when you dose so that if/when you lose 2-3FC throughout the day you will still be above 3. (To be honest, that is what my CYA level is and I dose to 8 everyday just to be darn sure it will never get anywhere near going too low. lol )

To sum up... passing the OCLT really is important. We see a lot of people who are finally at the end of a SLAM, especially a long or extra frustrating one, that are very ready to be finished and it's common to want to skip that step but it's the only way to surely know that you're done killing everything and nothing is lurking around waiting to sneak back up to get you.

I'm hoping for the best for you! The pool and the yard are beautiful. I'm jealous!

Thanks Beens! Got me nervous that I'm going to wake up to a swamp with frogs waving at me.
I'm just kidding. I have already ordered the replacement for my reagent. I am worried about the FC levels but I will judge it in the morning compared to how I left it. I know it was at 14 when I ran out of stuff. So if I get a below 5 reading in the morning I will start to seriously worry.
Thanks for all the kudos on the backyard. Lots of work.

This is going to sound funny to you but I'm going to tell you anyway. When your pool is in good, balanced, working order, you can almost smell it. When I go and pull water from my pool to test I know before I even run the test whether or not I'm within specifications. I can smell it. You're doing all the right things.

Obviously, use the reagents when you get them. Make sure/confirm what you're seeing, or in my case, smelling.

The other day my deck contractor was telling me he was amazed that my water was so clear right upon opening. He said his was only that clear looking about 3 times EVER! Of course, I told him my secret, which, of course, is this great website. Hopefully, we'll soon have another believer. Awtrizzle--your pool is proof positive that what is taught here works.

This is going to sound funny to you but I'm going to tell you anyway. When your pool is in good, balanced, working order, you can almost smell it. When I go and pull water from my pool to test I know before I even run the test whether or not I'm within specifications. I can smell it. You're doing all the right things.

Obviously, use the reagents when you get them. Make sure/confirm what you're seeing, or in my case, smelling.

Not funny at all. I can tell from just looking and smelling and how my eyes feel in the pool.

I just use the tests to tell me how much to add to fix the problems but it is never a big problem because one of us is always in,by, near the pool most days LOL

Kim

So far so good. Here's today's pic.
7ef84eafa9c40722b882fd4e69fd0272.jpg

Wow, now you're getting to that point where you sometimes have to look twice to be sure there is actually water in the pool. Just go back and compare that picture to your first one of the black pool. Great job! I notice that you are now a "Senior Member", congratulations.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.