Name of this PVC pump fitting?

I'm needing to replace the hose between my pump and my filter. I plan to replace the 1.5" flex line with a 1.5" sch 40 hard line. The pump accepts two types of fittings. The style on there now, which looks like half a union that screws on the threads on the outside of the pump fitting or a a threaded fitting that screws into the threads on the inside of the fitting. I'm familiar with the threaded fitting that screws into the inside, but what is this fitting called that uses the outside threads?

I'll probably use the same fitting for the inside threads on both ends with a union in the middle, but I'm still curious what this fitting is called.

Thanks.

Attachments

• pvc_fitting.jpg
    pvc_fitting.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 63
Is it a special type of union specific to pool pumps? I disconnected the white union in the middle of the flex pipe and tried connecting it to the pump. It threads on, but it gets to the point I can no longer tighten it and the pipe still has what feels like 1/2" of play. The black union screws all the way down where the pipe is tight.

I even lubricated the white union to see if I could tighten it more, but it didn't change anything.

I think that the pump might be a Waterway Plastics Hi-Flo Above Ground Pool Pump.

Inyo should be able to help you find the correct union if you give them the pump make and model.

It might be one of these parts, but I am not sure.

Reactions: ConstantChange
I'll probably use the same fitting for the inside threads on both ends with a union in the middle, but I'm still curious what this fitting is called.
Its called a pain in the butt that the pool industry uses proprietary unions.. ;)... here's another option if you can't find a compatible part.. you can try and clean out the old one:
They sell them at Lowes and Home Depot.

Its called a pain in the butt that the pool industry uses proprietary unions.. ;)... here's another option if you can't find a compatible part.. you can try and clean out the old one:
They sell them at Lowes and Home Depot.
@mguzzy You are my HERO!!! I'm facing a pad plumbing situation that looks like spaghetti both above and below ground. This tool will be an absolute life saver...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.