Pawleys Island, SC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I've just had a new IG pool installed. It is a Carribean Bay "Calypso" model. I have been trying to find out the gallon capacity for a while now. The pool installer says 14000 gal. Various other sources have said 10000 and 12000. None of these seem to provide accurate chemical amounts for calculations in any of the various apps I've tried. The chemical amounts specified always seem excessive, having to be halved or even quartered to provide the correct result. My rough measurement of the irregular shaped pool is closer to 8000 gallons. Is there anyone else that has this model pool? Do you know the capacity? Is there a number which works in your calculations?
Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 11.58.49 AM.png

Contact the pool manufacturer and get a drawing with total volume. That will be to the top of the flange. Subtract 6” of pool volume and you should be pretty accurate.

Be sure you are using TFP Poolmath for chemistry adjustment.

Manufacturers pool spec says this pool is 14'x30', depth 3'-6'. I measure closer to 13'x28.5' so 370.5sqftx4.5' avg depth is 1667.25cuftx7.48=12471gal. If I use that in my chem calculations it isn't even close.

So lets dial in your size by gallons using your chemistry. With you saying your levels are changing different than what is expected then we need to dial it in.

FC or pH will be the two easiest to use. Start with a nice, even number like 8000. Test your FC and see where it is at right then. Use Pool Math with your pool size set at 8000 see how much chlorine to add to a 8000 gal pool to get it up 2 points. Add that amount with the pump on high. Wait about an hour and retest. What happened? Did it go up too much? too little? Adjust your pool gals by 1000 gals either way and do it again. Once you get consistent results at this new size then move your size by 500 gals. That should do it. You can dial it is closer over time.

Kim:kim:

Manufacturers pool spec says this pool is 14'x30', depth 3'-6'. I measure closer to 13'x28.5'
Fiberglass pool manufacturers report measurements at the flange. They should have a drawing showing the a CAD print out of all the measurements. Typically needed when applying for the building permit to install the pool.

I have an email in the the manufacturer, waiting for a response. All that's required on the building permit here is a rectangular footprint on a plot plan and a side crossection showing depth.
Maddie, when I use 12000 in my calculations the chems shown to be added after results measured are way over target level.

This is the PH adjustments I've made the last several times. Chem adds to bring it up or down and the resulting differences. Can the capacity be calculated from this?
Screen Shot 2019-11-30 at 4.43.49 PM.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm measuring with Taylor 2006C kit and a nice Apera PH tester. I have to admit I'm using the Pool Doctor app for calculations.

This is the PH adjustments I've made the last several times. Chem adds to bring it up or down and the resulting differences. Can the capacity be calculated from this?
View attachment 123251
Use Poolmath. Not sure what that is you screenshot.
I am sure the manufacturer will have a more detailed plot plan. I have a San Juan pool and can get all the plans off their website.

What I showed in #10 is how much chem I added and what the result was. For instance the first line:
added 2.5 oz sodium thiosulfate, the FC level lowered 2.0 PPM.

Not sure why the raw measurements would make a difference but in my example in #17, the FC tested at 7.5ppm. I added 2.5oz sodium thiosulfate which resulted in a FC level of 5.5ppm.

They matter because if I enter your pool size (aprox) in to PoolMath, then tell it you added 2.5 ounces of x chemical it provides me what the response should be. Sodium Thiosulfate just happens to be a chemical it doesn't work with....probably because so few (next to no one) uses it to reduce FC around here.

Did you look at it...towards the bottom of the page on PoolMath.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.