Mysterious bypass valve

Mattlann

May 23, 2023
Maryland
Hi! I am in the process of revamping the plumbing system after removing the heater (finally dead and I am not replacing). I am going to remove the chlorine feeder in the picture as well. The idea is to put a salt chlorine generator. However there is a bypass valve (circled red) for the jandy valve and I cannot understand why it was needed in the first place since the jandy valve is multidirectional. Am I safe to get rid of this valve as I would save some space?
IMG_8965.jpeg

Hi! I am in the process of revamping the plumbing system after removing the heater (finally dead and I am not replacing). I am going to remove the chlorine feeder in the picture as well. The idea is to put a salt chlorine generator. However there is a bypass valve (circled red) for the jandy valve and I cannot understand why it was needed in the first place since the jandy valve is multidirectional. Am I safe to get rid of this valve as I would save some space?
View attachment 495617
That would be a spa overflow valve. It will allow water to flow from the spa into the pool . I would keep it otherwise water could flow from the spa into the pool via the Jandy valve when the pump shuts off

Reactions: Mattlann
View attachment 495617
You can remove it and open the Jandy valve a bit to the spa to get it to overflow in pool operation.

Reactions: Mattlann
Yes I have.
As described above, that is to bypass water to the spa. You can use the Jandy valve if you like by partially opening it to let some water to the spa. The spa level may drop to the pool level when the pump is off unless there is a check valve in the system.

Reactions: oldprophet
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.