Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I am really enjoying testing and care ans maybe a bit weird. But still working on getting my numbers aligned and my PH is almost always 8.2. I currently have my SWG set at 83% are they designed to run at 100 all the time? Numbers are getting better just ph always high. And thanks in advanced!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210622-191752.jpg
    Screenshot_20210622-191752.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 38
Welcome to TFP! :wave:

I believe your Jandy SWG is rated for pools up to 40,000 gallons.
Suggest you increase CYA to 70. See the FC/CYA Levels for FC levels for a given CYA.

If you need to increase FC more than a point or two, use liquid chlorine as it will almost instantly get the FC up.

Your pH will continue to rise as your TA is140. The rate of risewill slowovertime as the TA drops a littlewith each acid addition.

Have a read thru ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Last edited:
We had a ton of rain recently and agree with TA. Pump runs 8:30am - 8pm. And added amount attached.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210622-203052.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210622-203052.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
B,

Assuming that your cell is a 40K cell, then it will make about 7 ppm of FC per 24 hour day when running at 100% output.

At 83% it will make 5.8 ppm in 24 hours, so your 12 hour of run time gives you about 2.9 ppm of FC per day.

Most pools use 2 to 4 ppm of FC per say, so I'd say your run time is a little low.

What is your FC target when you look at the saltwater tab of this chart?? FC/CYA Levels

Where do you try to keep your FC??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Running 12.5hr @ 89%. Is it OK to place @ 100% for PH maintaining?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210714-140107.jpg
    Screenshot_20210714-140107.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 7
I am really enjoying testing and care ans maybe a bit weird
Hey Buff and belated Welcome !!!
Don’t worry about the weird part, I’ll make you look normal. :crazy:
Running 12.5hr @ 89%. Is it OK to place @ 100% for PH maintaining
Totally ok. The cell doesn’t ever care or ‘work harder’. It’s either on or off a % of the time it’s running. It does all the maths for you, such a considerate little bugger. I used to pet mine like the dog. I’d do my once a week tests and make sure he knew he was a good boy.

YOUs a good boy !!! YES you ARE !!!!

You can also look at lowering your RMPs and running the pump 24/7. Many on here do that with variable speed pumps so you get skimming and chlorine generation 24/7. It should not cost more assuming your speed is lower than what you are running now, and you can get the comfort of running 50% on the SWCG if that makes you feel better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
. Many on here do that with variable speed pumps so you get skimming and chlorine generation 24/7. It should not cost more assuming your speed is lower than what you are running now, and you can get the comfort of running 50% on the SWCG if that makes you feel better.
^^^. Exactly Buff. The cell doesn’t care but will follow your lead. I am NOT one to get between a man and his SWG. No sir. Not me. If you two bond over 50% than that’s a beautiful thing too.

Revisiting been crazy at 8.2 today after logging dry acid yesterday 2lbs and letting SWG run at 94% for 13hrs a day. My water is clear but PH is always high. Should I get another PH tester?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210802-105119.jpg
    Screenshot_20210802-105119.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 13
My understanding is the pH chemistry maxes out at a reading of 8.2, even if the actual pH is above that. So keep adding muriatic acid bits at a time, check pH, repeat... Once you start registering a lower pH you're back in business

Also - I don't believe dry acid is usually recommended, especially with an SWCG

after logging dry acid yesterday 2lbs

Dry acid can be used to lower pH and TA. However dry acid contains sulfates which will accumulate in the water. Dry acid should not be used in plaster pools or pools with a SWG.

Dry acid is often sold as “pH Minus.”

Dry acid is sodium bisulfate. After dissociation of the acid salt, it leaves behind the sulfate ion.

Problems sulfates can cause include:

• Sulfates can damage concrete & plaster
  • Excess sulfates in water increases the likelihood of corrosion on metal parts
  • Excess sulfates in splash out water leads to degradation of any concrete surfaces
  • Sulfates degrade the coatings on SWG plates
  • At high enough concentrations, sulfates can react with calcium to form spindly, needle-like crystals of calcium sulfate (gypsum)
  • While sulfates in vinyl pools is typically not as problematic as in plaster pools, scaling of gypsum crystals can increase the risk of liner puncture.
Sulfates can only be removed by draining water.

Pentair specifically says on page 9 in the IntelliChlor SWG Manual- CAUTION: The use of dry acid (sodium bisulfate) to adjust pool pH is discouraged especially in arid regions where pool water is subject to excessive evaporation and is not commonly diluted with fresh water. Dry acid can cause a buildup of by-products that can damage your chlorinator cell.

Dry acid should be considered only if obtaining muriatic acid is too expensive or difficult to obtain. In some countries, it’s illegal to sell it to the general public. It’s really not good to have in water.[11]

Dry acid can be used in hot tubs since it’s far easier to measure and dose small quantities of a granular substance and the water in a hot tub gets changed frequently. But, in a pool, it’s just not a good idea.

Revisiting been crazy at 8.2 today after logging dry acid yesterday 2lbs and letting SWG run at 94% for 13hrs a day. My water is clear but PH is always high. Should I get another PH tester?

@proavia gave you the correct advice above.

Lower your TA to 60-70 and raise your CYA to 70.

Your TA is causing your pH to rise rapidly.

Your low CYA is why you need to run your SWG at 100% and still have low FC.

What is the pH and TA of your fill water?

Reactions: proavia
No one around me had Muratic acid and I hope this is the reason for this... (See attached). I was just trying to adjust from readings. Edit after reset breaker started working

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20210802-105631_iAquaLink.jpg
    SmartSelect_20210802-105631_iAquaLink.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
My understanding is the pH chemistry maxes out at a reading of 8.2, even if the actual pH is above that. So keep adding muriatic acid bits at a time, check pH, repeat... Once you start registering a lower pH you're back in business

Also - I don't believe dry acid is usually recommended, especially with an SWCG
Agreed was only option ran out of Muriatic acid.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.