My Stenner pump and the change to 6% bleach vs 8.25%

rphpool

Mar 4, 2015
Sugar Land , TX
I thought it was going to be a simple fix to the decreased bleach % we are seeing produced. I was just going to increase my Stenner pump time by 2.25%. Well it is not quite that simple I found out. This time of year I would run for 40 min/ day ( 8500 gallon ), now I am up to 50 min/day and still not hitting my 6 ppm ( at 3ppm now , cya=50 ). I am going to give it a few days and bump up another 5 min. ( yes been following pool math ). I have been searching the internet everywhere and can not find a valid reason for the % bleach at retail big box stores going down, except for maybe $$$.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
I have been searching the internet everywhere and can not find a valid reason for the % bleach at retail big box stores going down, except for maybe $$$.
99.99% of the consumers of household bleach have no idea what concentration the bleach is they are buying. Why wouldn't a manufacturer just lower the % and charge the same price? They then added 'fabric protection' and called it 'new and improved'!

JohnT

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Apr 4, 2007
SW Indiana
Your math is wrong . You’d need to increase run time by about 27% since 6% bleach has 27% less chlorine than 8.25% does.

40*1.273=about 51 minutes.

Reactions: IceShadow