My Stenner pump and the change to 6% bleach vs 8.25%

Mar 4, 2015
Sugar Land , TX
I thought it was going to be a simple fix to the decreased bleach % we are seeing produced. I was just going to increase my Stenner pump time by 2.25%. Well it is not quite that simple I found out. This time of year I would run for 40 min/ day ( 8500 gallon ), now I am up to 50 min/day and still not hitting my 6 ppm ( at 3ppm now , cya=50 ). I am going to give it a few days and bump up another 5 min. ( yes been following pool math ). I have been searching the internet everywhere and can not find a valid reason for the % bleach at retail big box stores going down, except for maybe $$$.

I have been searching the internet everywhere and can not find a valid reason for the % bleach at retail big box stores going down, except for maybe $$$.
99.99% of the consumers of household bleach have no idea what concentration the bleach is they are buying. Why wouldn't a manufacturer just lower the % and charge the same price? They then added 'fabric protection' and called it 'new and improved'!

Your math is wrong . You’d need to increase run time by about 27% since 6% bleach has 27% less chlorine than 8.25% does.

40*1.273=about 51 minutes.

Reactions: IceShadow
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.