My SLAM Journey

So I was just wondering.............Since you started this slam how many gallons of chlorine have you added? At what cost has this been?

skeeter

I honestly couldn't tell you how many gallons. I was saving them but my husband threw them out. I want to say anywhere around 40 gallons of bleach and/or shock/chlorine ... With the cost of Bleach, CYA, and MA, I want to say I spent $200???

Bleach is roughly $3/gallon
Shock/Chlorine is anywhere between $3-4/gallon

I used about 4 gallons a day (estimated) and it took me 10 days to complete my SLAM. I did my OCLT last night and I believe I passed. Will be continuing to test for the rest of the week for my own peace of mind. I will go back through my thread and let you know exactly tho :)

I'm no expert, but I would wait until after slam is over to add anything extra. The metal stuff is most likely a sequestering agent that binds to the metal to keep them dissolved in the water to prevent stains. It looks like an ascorbic treatment would be next on the list after the slam to remove the iron stains, then you would add the metal stuff to keep them dissolved.

Can you tell me more about this treatment?

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, rough (there could be some days where I may not have recorded on here, towards the end) run down on the material and cost for my SLAM:

21 Gal Bleach - 8.25% - $63
7 Gal 12% Chlorine - $28
12 Gal 10% Chlorine - $24
14 Cups CYA - 60
1 Gal MA - $6

Overall Cost So Far (not including pool cleaning equipment): $181.00

My pool was a swamp when my pump went out for about a month. I finally got the pump fixed but decided it would be easier just to drain and refill the pool.

It cost...

pump rental to drain pool.................................$20
water bill to refill (approx)water is cheap here....$50
conditioner.....................................................$70
muratic acid, 1 gal..........................................$6
chlorine, 2 gal................................................$8
Calcium+......................................................$40
Total.............................................................$194

one day to drain while washing algae of walls, one day to fill and add chems.

Guess mine cost alittle more, but not much. Guess the deciding factor may be the price of water.

skeeter

My pool was a swamp when my pump went out for about a month. I finally got the pump fixed but decided it would be easier just to drain and refill the pool.

It cost...

pump rental to drain pool.................................$20
water bill to refill (approx)water is cheap here....$50
conditioner.....................................................$70
muratic acid, 1 gal..........................................$6
chlorine, 2 gal................................................$8
Calcium+......................................................$40
Total.............................................................$194

one day to drain while washing algae of walls, one day to fill and add chems.

Guess mine cost alittle more, but not much. Guess the deciding factor may be the price of water.

skeeter

Yea water here is $400 per tanker truck. Definately saved money by going from swamp to crystal clear.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
2nd OCLT Test:

Eveing Reading:
FC: 12.5
CC: .5

Morning Reading:
FC: 12

Opinion Needed: When is the best time to have the pump running or turned off? Should I run it during the day while it's sunny out, or in the evening? My head is telling me that I should run it during the day and turn it off at night as FC is used up during the day. Expert needed! :)

What a transformation! And I don't just mean the pool. I quietly subscribed to your "ool newbie" thread to sit back and watch both your pool and you transform. I remember how frantic and overwhelmed you were just a couple of weeks ago! (I was disappointed when that thread got locked, but I could also see why it needed to be.) Now you're quickly becoming a "thumb your nose at the pool store" confident pool owner! Congrats, pat yourself on the back and enjoy that really cool looking pool!

I recommend to run the pump during the day. During the day is when you have the most breezes which blow stuff in the pool and needs to be skimmed out before it gets water logged and sinks. I run my pump on low speed for about 20 hrs a day more for skimming the water than for ciruclation. One thing I hate is looking at my pool and see stuff floating on the water.

2nd OCLT Test:

Eveing Reading:
FC: 12.5

Morning Reading:
FC: 12

Opinion Needed: When is the best time to have the pump running or turned off? Should I run it during the day while it's sunny out, or in the evening? My head is telling me that I should run it during the day and turn it off at night as FC is used up during the day. Expert needed! :)

nere5y2u.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.