My SLAM Journey

yzerube3.jpg
yhuqupy7.jpg

Scrubbing and scrubbing and scrubbing and I can not get rid of this black stuff ... Is this the ever dreaded plaster staining? It isn't like the algae I spent weeks scrubbing where I could see the "algae clouds" when I brushed it ... This is the worst spot. I have a few little spots here and there ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can get some scratched off and smear it on white paper, look for a green smear. Its most definitely black algae. It will need daily brushing and a slightly higher FC level over a period of time to clear up.

Okay I set a puck on one of the portions of the stain and low and behold it was gone. I think you may be right about the black algae Casey. How high of an FC level are we talking? I understand normal, post SLAM, levels is around 6 FC. I brought it up to, what is reading this morning, 10.5 FC. Do I need to bring it up higher than that? And I will be brushing every day until it's gone, however, nothing comes off while I brush and I'm using a pool brish that has stainless steel bristles incorporated in it.

Also, I just read up on it in pool school. When they say stainless steel brush, do they mean straight stainless steel or the brush I mentioned above, which is nylon and stainless steel?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Recommended brushes:
Nylon is for vinyl, fiberglass, tile, and plaster that is less than one year. (Plaster includes any exposed aggregate and marcite finish, btw!) Combo brushes are for older plaster. All stainless are for algae (very stubborn green algae and also the ONLY brush for black algae.)

You CAN unscrew the Wall Whale from the nylon brush it comes with and screw it on a combo brush if your plaster is over a year old. Newer plaster is really too soft for anything other than a nylon brush.

- - - Updated - - -

Any pool store, correct?

You can call around to see if they have what you need.

I'm not up to speed on your CYA level but if your target for the day is 6ppm, then run an 8ppm til the algae is gone. Brushing the black algae will not get rid of it in one day. Neither will chlorine alone. The stainless steal brush you are going to use is going to scratch the biofilms off the black algae. Think of it as exfoliating your skin. You open your pores and add cleaner and such right? You are opening his pores so the chlorine can penetrate it and eventually kill it. It takes time as black algae is a whole nother beast than green/poofy algae.

So brush daily and run a slightly higher FC level til it's gone.

I'm not up to speed on your CYA level but if your target for the day is 6ppm, then run an 8ppm til the algae is gone. Brushing the black algae will not get rid of it in one day. Neither will chlorine alone. The stainless steal brush you are going to use is going to scratch the biofilms off the black algae. Think of it as exfoliating your skin. You open your pores and add cleaner and such right? You are opening his pores so the chlorine can penetrate it and eventually kill it. It takes time as black algae is a whole nother beast than green/poofy algae.

So brush daily and run a slightly higher FC level til it's gone.

Got it! Running to the pool store at lunch for my special algae brush! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.