My new Circupool RJ60+ install

hexabc

Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
I thought I would share some pictures of my new RJ60+ install - could be helpful to other folks who plan to switch to SWCG. For me it was an opportunity to also fix some unrelated issues:
  • The old stand was small, rotten and placed too close to the equipment pad - there was not enough room to remove the filter's clamp ring for cleaning. (Remedy: built a new stand.)
  • The electrical subpanel was all rusted and a sore to the eyes - it didn't inspire confidence in the pool safety. (Remedy: wired a new subpanel.)
  • The pool has a 120V / 300W underwater halogen installed 33 years ago by the previous owner. I'm just scared to swim in a pool with a submerged old, high-voltage lamp. (Remedy: permanently removed power from the lamp. Perhaps some time in the future I will replace the halogen with a low voltage LED and reconnect it back.)
  • Improve the safety and bring the pool to comply with the current NEC. (Remedy: installed GFCI circuit breakers in the subpanel.)
It took me 5 weekends to finish the install, including the above improvements. Much of that time was just pondering and looking up and oredering parts on the Internet.

Having everything in place and running on a bypass cell, I balanced the water and dissolved CYA using a sock hanging in front of returns. The K-1766 test kit showed that there was already 1000 ppm of salt, so based on the estimated pool volume, I added 10 bags of Solar Crystals from Lowes. The next day K-1766 showed 3000 ppm. Added 3 more bags. Currently, K-1766 shows 3600 ppm and the RJ60 controller displays an instantenous salinity oscilating between 3700 and 3800 ppm.

The advertised chlorine production of RJ60+ is an equivalent of 3.1 lbs of 100% abstract liquid chlorine at 100% duty cycle over 24 hours, so assuming my single speed pump is running only 6 hours a day, the following is true:
0.775 lbs of 100% chlorine at 100% duty cycle over 6 hours
7.750 lbs of 10% chlorine at 100% duty cycle over 6 hours
3.875 lbs of 10& chlorine at 50% duty cycle over 6 hours

That's about an equivalent of half a gallon of 10% liquid chlorine per day, which is the amount my New Jersey pool consumes on an average day. So as a starting point I set the duty cycle to 50% and dialed the following run times into Intermatic P1353 timer:
Main pump: 6:00am - 12:00pm
RJ60: 6:05am - 11:55am
That was the first attempt. By now I increased the running time to 7 hours and the duty cycle to 60%. Chlorine contents in the early morning is between 3 and 4 ppm with CYA 60 ppm, which is what I need. Maybe in the longer run chlorine will go up, so then I will adjust the parameters down a little bit.

I am very happy with RJ60+. Hopefully it will stay that way for years to come. Now to the photos.

This is the old setup, with a Stenner pump and a barrel of liquid chlorine:
old_stand.jpg

Another photo of the old setup. The minipad is very crowded - the only option available for the SWG cell is a vertical mount... or a drastic redoing of the whole shebang, which I didn't look forward to. I reused the existing plumbing to the maximum.
old_stand02.JPG

And this is the new setup with Circupool RJ60+. Thanks @cowboycasey for your simple and elegant design of the stand: Do I need to shelter the panel? SWG Install questions.. I would never know those "OZ" posts are waiting for me at Lowes!
new_stand.jpg

vertical_mount.jpg

vertical_mount03.jpg

Electrical diagram - subpanel and Intermatic P1353:
1653596419576.jpeg

1653596686944.jpeg

IMG_3195.jpg

Bonding wire continuity test:
IMG_3191.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! :goodjob:

full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.