My IC40 and FC

My FC always seems to hover at 5.5. I have an IC 40 SWCG running at 20%, for 12 hours a day. I have a VS pump running at 1700rpm for normal turn over. It's a 22K pool, and is covered most of the time with an autocover as I have small kids.

I wouldn't even be bringing this up, but I keep seeing that FC should be 2~3. THoughts?..should I just go have a beer and stop trying to be perfect, or are there others who have lowered the output even more?

last nights numbers.
PH 7.4
FC 5.4
CC <.2 (id say given its barley pink, a half of drop would turn the sample back to clear)
CYA 40
CH 230
TA 100
Salinity 3600

Thx

My FC always seems to hover at 5.5. I have an IC 40 SWCG running at 20%, for 12 hours a day. I have a VS pump running at 1700rpm for normal turn over. It's a 22K pool, and is covered most of the time with an autocover as I have small kids.

I wouldn't even be bringing this up, but I keep seeing that FC should be 2~3. THoughts?..should I just go have a beer and stop trying to be perfect, or are there others who have lowered the output even more?

last nights numbers.
PH 7.4
FC 5.4
CC <.2 (id say given its barley pink, a half of drop would turn the sample back to clear)
CYA 40
CH 230
TA 100
Salinity 3600

Thx

Welcome to TFP

Where are you reading FC should be 2-3? Not here

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart
Pool School - Recommended Levels

With a safety cover on the pool most of the time is 70-80 CYA really needed?

I have read some posts, including older ones from Chemgeek, that suggested that a pool with a safety cover on it needs far less CYA than a normal SWG pool. I have found that running with CYA higher and using a opaque safety cover does not allow the SWCG % to be run lower - it already has to be run lower when covered anyway, since there is little to no chlorine lost to UV sun exposure - and thus less chlorine is needed overall - much different than how it behaves without a cover.

I have been running our pool for the last 2 years at lower CYA; first season was around 50, then 40 last year, and this year it has naturally dropped to 30. I am keeping it there for now. I have gone from trying to keep FC at 7-8 to shooting for around 5.

Our cover is on the pool 90% or more of the time. We only open it on warm afternoons or evenings when I get home from work during the week. On weekends it is rarely open for more than a few hours.

Our automation allows the SWG to be set at a much lower % when covered than when open - which helps keep things running well. This year I am actually running it at slighly lower % so far than the first two years.

scp,

Good point about the cover. The only reason to run a higher CYA is to help keep the sun from burning off the chlorine, which is what a cover is already doing..

I missed the whole cover aspect and suspect the OP's CYA is just fine..

Thanks, for the heads up..

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.