My first slam

Jim,

Gorgeous pool! OK let's just look at the facts. You've got a clear pool but you noticed your FC dropped a lot in one day but your CC was zero. The high chlorine loss by itself doesn't indicate a SLAM is necessary. Only when it goes to zero. But you SLAMed anyway. No big deal, it won't hurt if it's not required. You've also demonstrated proficiency with test techniques and performed redundant tests so that's not an issue. But you're getting OCLT results of 3-4 ppm. This can only be from some FC consuming chemical like ammonia or algae. You haven't added anything containing ammonia or anything else other than liquid chlorine so it must be algae. Don't worry too much about why you have algae. Spores are in the air and under the right conditions they germinate and proliferate. If you haven't added anything else to the pool you have algae. Your technique is proven to be too good to make a 3-4 ppm error. Just keep at it and you'll beat this.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Thanks Chris.

Ammonia. I have no idea. I mean I know everything that goes in and out of my pool. So I would say no. Kids have been swimming everyday cause it’s been so hot. My kids and my nephew are potty trained. 15, 9, 6. So let’s say 1 peed in the pool even. That wouldn’t matter I would assume? I don’t smell anything at all in the pool either.

My mom is coming down in a few mins. I’m going to have her test. I should be at 28. Sun is up now. Not hot out. Just daytime.

Ammonia by itself will use up a little of your FC and make CC. The CC are then burned off in the sun and broken down by the rest of the FC.

There's a certain bacteria that can eat CYA and turn it into ammonia but if that were the case you would have 0 FC and CYA and high CC. So you don't have to worry about that at all.

Do you have any lights in the pool that are removable and set into niches, or ladders? Maybe somewhere like that where algae might be hiding?

I have three lights. They are LED light dad don’t have a housing. So if I remove them the light conduit would fill with water and I’m not draining down 15 inches. No ladders. Only 2 skimmers and 2 floor drains with typical lids. And a floor return with same lid as drain lid.

If the lights don't have a housing, they should be watertight so no algae concerns there. Any algae in the floor drains are being blasted with the chlorine, same as else as the pump cycles.

I'd say do one more OCLT test tonight and see what it is. With water completely clear and no CC you should be OK to stop so long as the OCLT isn't excessive, but I'd wait for others to chime in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think your worked up over nothing. Kids swimming will increase the chlorine demand significantly and I doubt any of them are getting out to use the bathroom.

60 drops with a 5% margin of error is +/- 3 drops so you are well within. Taylor advises up to 10%.

Being consistent in how you test is what's important. Another person testing can very easily get a different result.

I think your worked up over nothing. Kids swimming will increase the chlorine demand significantly and I doubt any of them are getting out to use the bathroom.

60 drops with a 5% margin of error is +/- 3 drops so you are well within. Taylor advises up to 10%.

Being consistent in how you test is what's important. Another person testing can very easily get a different result.

ok thanks brian. i am so consistent when i test. i only had my mom test cause she knows how to and wanted another set of eyes.

i always try to go same speed and same amount of powder.

i might just do like originally said from the beginning and like you said. bring it up and let it come back down and let it be.

all i'm doing is working myself up and confusing myself.

even though i had a possible 5 ppm loss over night when it was at slam level last night. again i don't know how accurate each test was cause i kept getting different numbers. if i look at just my last tests after my final dosing i ranged from 27.5-32. so again no idea if i passed failed cause of retesting last night.

i never ever owned a pool so how much is normal to loose for when kids swim in unknown to me. also i don't know what normal burn off should be in 100 degree heat with say the cell off. there is a lot i don't know yet. so i'm just learning as i have issues.

i just read here so i read just in a recent thread for a slam "anything greater than 1 loss at night is hard and fast" its a fail. so i lost possible .5-5 last night. so. . . anyway. so then technically that 1 loss can be greater or lesser cause of error.

i'm going to stop now cause i'm running in circles.

If your pool looks good and has no CC - I would let your FC come down to normal maintenance levels and then do the OCLT down at those levels. There will be less margin of error in terms of ppm for the test drops at lower FC levels.

If your pool looks good and has no CC - I would let your FC come down to normal maintenance levels and then do the OCLT down at those levels. There will be less margin of error in terms of ppm for the test drops at lower FC levels.

That was my plan. I’m at 15 right now.

I did it once Only.

My cell is back on but I have it higher.

So I’ll see where it’s st tonight and see. My maintanance level is 7-8. But I’m going to stay higher cause of heat. 8-9.

Cya 70

Don't forget to leave the SWG off when doing the OCLT. :)
i'm on it. i'm letting it drop back down to maintenance level first (like you mentioned). so at dark i'll see where my level is. if it's between 7-9 (that is going to be my new hold level, it was 6-8) I'll do it tonight. If it's still raised above that I'll wait till tomorrow.

pool is clear. i ran my robot all day almost so pool is clean as can be. I brushed this morning like i said. I also brushed by hand brush inside my skimmers and around my eyeballs and inside skimmer mouths. i also brushed by hand to step seams where riser meets thread and any other curves in corners. i mean the only place that wasn't hand brushed were my drains in deep end. wasn't going in to do it.

Reactions: IceShadow

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.