My experience after four years.

Aug 16, 2018
Kailua Kona, HI
The purpose of this post is to describe a myriad of changes I made to my pool system since it was first completed four years ago. It is my first pool and I grew to hate it very quickly.

When the pool was first commissioned, the contractor had a “pool guy” come every week until I learned how to manage the pool myself. His method was strictly seat-of-the-pants. When I ask how much Clorox I should put in the pool, he replied “well just blurp in a little every week”. He literally tested the pool with a “yellow, not so yellow” test kit and then just dumped some Clorox into the pool without measuring anything. He just stopped showing up after a couple of weeks and it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Now I had to figure this out myself. So hats off to troublefreepool, which has been invaluable throughout my learning process. Without it I would still be floundering around and hating the pool more every day.

So here is the Before:
  • 15,000 gallon pool w/ Pentair single speed pump
  • Completely separate 700 gallon spa w/ Pentair filter and jet pumps
  • Motorized valve to divert pool water into a waterfall nozzle on the side of the spa back into the pool.
  • Pool controller for which I had no reprogramming capability
The most obvious problem here is the single speed pump. This is Hawaii with $0.30/kWhr electricity. There is no excuse for this, but what did I know, it was my first pool.

The second problem is that the pool and spa were completely separate systems. Once I learned that once a week testing and adjusting weren't nearly enough, I started to daily test and adjust chlorine and pH for both systems. A huge pain. I eventually got to where I could go every other day but any longer than that readings would get well out of nominal. Your mileage may vary, but If I went on vacation for two weeks I might very well come home to "the green monster".

And here are the changes I made:
  • Replaced the single speed pool pump with a variable speed.
    Pretty easy since the fittings were in exactly the same place. I measured and calculated the variable speed pump saves me over $40/month.
  • Added a salt water chlorine generator to the pool.
    I had to replace the generator after three years, but it's still way cheaper than adding Clorox. And obviously less trouble.
  • Made it all one system.
    I had a notch cut into the spa right where the waterfall nozzle was. I then added a check valve and a few feet of plumbing. Now when the waterfall valve is operated, pool water flows into the spa and overflows back into the pool. I run this for an hour per day to flush the spa. Only one system to test and add chemistry to now!
  • Added an acid metering system to automatically control pH. (Yet to be completed.)
  • Designed and built my own controller.
    I realize most pool owners can't do this but I have the background and I was on a mission to make the pool truly a “once a week” maintenance task so I need the ability to make fundamental changes to system control. Once the salt water generator and acid metering system are dialed in I might be able to get away with once every two or three weeks.
So for anyone who asks, my advice is to not have a pool in the first place ;>), but if you must and you don't want to maintain it constantly:
  • Install a variable speed pump – it saves electricity and it's a lot quieter.
  • Automate both chlorine and pH control. Once it's dialed in you really can get away with once a week maintenance or even longer.
  • Use troublefreepool to learn how to do proper maintenance. I can't speak for you but my “pool guy” and the local pool store are clueless. If you want it done right....
So finally I'm getting to like my crystal clear pool and spa, now that it is under control and I understand it better.

Bill
Kailua Kona, HI

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.