mustard algae and poor circulation. please help!!

So we've developed yellow algae. AGAIN. I think one of our problems is poor circulation. Our pool was built in the 80s and we inherited it about 10 years ago. The jet in the pool has no cap to it, its just a hole in the plaster...
  1. Is there any way to fit it with a cover so I can point the direction I want to water to go?
  2. Is there any way to add another jet without tearing up massive amounts of the pool?
  3. is there anything I can get to float around in the pool to help with circulation? thanks!!
(I have been brushing the Darn out of it and just today bought a dolphin nautilus cc robotic vacuum and used it twice... pool guy is putting in algae killer tomorrow)

Attachments

• IMG_3009.JPG
    IMG_3009.JPG
    652.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_3013.JPG
    IMG_3013.JPG
    462 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_3005.JPG
    IMG_3005.JPG
    544.2 KB · Views: 41
Welcome to the forum!
Have a read through our Pool School and focus on SLAM Process and FC/CYA Levels. You will find we would not recommend letting any one put 'algae killer' in your pool as it will either be a copper or ammonia based (or both, which is worse) algaecide that creates more problems. Even worse would be if it is Bromide based. Then you get to drain your pool as your pool will have become a bromine pool.
This forum advocates pool owner testing and water chemistry management. Are you interested?
Also -- circulation has little to do with it. Regular brushing will take care of that.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

I am interested in learning more about water chemistry- I have been trusting my pool maintenance companies to take care of it, but I am guessing my numbers are off and getting the water independently tested tomorrow. I am thinking of just getting rid of a pool guy altogether, as I am constantly dissapointed, but on the other hand I am too intimidated by all the machinery to service the pool all on my own. SIGH

Welcome to TFP.

Algae killer??? What is that? Algaecide?

Algaecides contain copper or ammonia that can stain your pool and mess up your water chemistry. And they do not fix algae outbreaks already in process.

If you slow down and follow our methods we can help you. The SLAM Process clears up algae problems.

I suggest you read

I am interested in learning more about water chemistry
Then stop them. Read through what Allen posted. You will need a proper test kit. See Test Kits Compared. I suggest the TF-100 Test Kit ™

This forum can walk you through anything at your pool. And you can contact tradesmen as necessary for those things you do not wish to tackle.

Your pictures look like run of the mill algae. But, are some of what you see on the walls algae or stains? Copper looks like that.

Check the links Marty and Allen posted. Check around this forum as well if you need convincing. There is plenty of threads with pools in much worse state turning into sparkling oasis.
You can have a pool that make your neighbors jealous. Save yourself a lot of frustration and money. To achieve it, however, you need to be able to test water yourself.
Get one of the two recommended kits and fire your pool guy. Ask any questions you came across and this forum will help you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
See posts above. You need your own test kit.

We do not provide specific chemical guidance based on pool store tests. IF you wish to believe the test, you need CYA and Chlorine. I would not trust their CYA reading, unless you know you have not added any. Is this a fresh fill? No CYA containing products used since you filled the pool?

Your pictures look very clear, especially if you brushed the "algae" up. It would normally cloud the water over. But your pool is shimmering from sunlight. Makes me believe you have metals in the water along with some algae. JMO. I could be wrong.

Your pictures look very clear, especially if you brushed the "algae" up. It would normally cloud the water over. But your pool is shimmering from sunlight. Makes me believe you have metals in the water along with some algae. JMO. I could be wrong.

I have the exact same issue, you mention metals in the pool how is that tested?

Its about the only test you can have done at the pool store.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.