Orlando, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
Does anyone know of any type of small container / dispenser for MA? I have to dose my pool 1-2 times a week and dread the task because of the struggle with the gloves, mask, & goggles, before measuring out everything then slowing adding in front of deep end return. Part of the challenge is my deck is almost 2' above the water line at the deep end so pouring either from gallon or even the measuring cup requires quite a feat of stretching and avoiding sticking my face over there.

I'd really like to get the Pentair IntelliPh setup, but that's just not in the budget yet.

In the meantime, I was thinking it would be much easier to at least not worry about the measuring every week and find a manual dispenser for the acid gallon jug that I could just carry over to the edge, drop a tube at the deep end, and give it a specific number of pumps or whatever other method to dispense a (roughly) set amount of acid.
The closest I've found is the Tolco Blend Proportioner (see link below) but this caps at 3oz (I normally need ~10oz a week) and doesn't really help with the reaching over the edge problem since there's no hose.

I'd even settle for small measured containers that I can setup 4-8 of one day every month and then just slowly pour these into the pool once to twice a week without worrying about measuring every time.
I found these glass acid proof reagent bottles that seem like they'd work, but not a huge fan of glass by the pool. But hey, at least I don't worry about the acid causing issues.

Has anyone found any solution for this? I know this isn't an issue for many, but in my circumstances I'd feel much better about running out and doing this before work once or twice a week if I could cut down on some of the time. I go very slowly with MA and don't want to rush the process so finding ways to safely speed it up or prep ahead of time when I have it would be really ideal.

Thanks in advance!
Aaron

No real need for gloves or mask. Safety glasses are smart to use.

Your entire pool deck is 2 feet above the pool water level? Not necessary to add only to the deep end. Just be sure to add slowly at a return with the pump running. Brush the area if you like to insure it is distributed well.

Reactions: Bperry
The deep end return (I only have 2) is located in the area of the red arrow. So the back 1/3rd of the pool is all raised and that's why I have to kneel down and over the edge to pour at the water line and not have it splash by pouring higher.
I didn't realize that I could add MA to the shallow end. That would make it easier, but I think pre measuring or measured pumping would still make life easier. I found one more thing below that looks like it fits closer but no idea how long it would hold up with MA. The nice thing is its 1oz per full pump so it's easy enough to add a set amount....
Thanks!

Attachments

• PoolReturn.jpg
    PoolReturn.jpg
    305.9 KB · Views: 23
You do not want to handle acid twice. Pour from the original container. Your pool volume is small like mine so I do measure. Many here do not (just dump some in based on a good guess) but our small volume pools make that more difficult.
I lower the gallon container down to the water level. Pour into my measure device (plastic 2 cup), dip the gallon container in the water to rinse off any drips, set the container on the coping, slowly pour the acid from the measuring cup, seal the container, and I am done.

I'm too cheap to buy starter fluid so for the past 40 years or so I just used a glass jar with gasoline in it and pour a smidgen to prime the carb.

Anyway, any glass jar, measure (water first?), tape on jar side with a line on it, more batches ready to go? More jars (only one needs tape, use one to measure others).

Pump, get near water line, glasses, hazmat suit, tongs ... I just pour and toss. Sorry, I've always been difficult.

Anyway, any glass jar,
Never, and I mean never, take glass near a pool. One mistake, and the pool is being drained. Completely.

And never put acid (or any hazardous material) in a container that is not meant and marked as Acid. Lots of bad things can happen.

Last edited:
The deep end return (I only have 2) is located in the area of the red arrow. So the back 1/3rd of the pool is all raised and that's why I have to kneel down and over the edge to pour at the water line and not have it splash by pouring higher.
I didn't realize that I could add MA to the shallow end. That would make it easier, but I think pre measuring or measured pumping would still make life easier. I found one more thing below that looks like it fits closer but no idea how long it would hold up with MA. The nice thing is its 1oz per full pump so it's easy enough to add a set amount....
Thanks!
Those pumps can be leaky and that’s what you don’t want. I think if you just ditched the goggles and gloves and followed Marty’s advice you’de find it’s a lot easier. You do need to be careful with it though.

Just use eye protection - as in safety glasses. Don't use goggles as sometimes the fumes can get trapped inside the goggles. Gloves and mask aren't really needed, just stand with the wind to your back to keep any fuming from blowing toward you. But if gloves and a mask make you feel safer, use them.

Find a reasonable place to stand/crouch and add in front of a return with the pump running. Brush the area a little after the add and call it good.

Keep the cap on the acid jug until it's over the pool water. Pour the acid in directly from the jug (if you need, use a PLASTIC measuring container) , rinse any measuring container with pool water, replace the cap on the acid jug and dunk the acid bottle completely under the pool water to rise it off.

I think if you just ditched the goggles and gloves and followed Marty’s advice you’de find it’s a lot easier. You do need to be careful with it though.

Gloves and mask can be ditched. Goggles / safety glasses are still a good idea.

A few splashes on skin don't do any harm as long as they get rinsed off quickly (working next to a pool should make that easy), but you don't want splashes into the eyes.

Getting the warning from your nose to pull away is actually a good thing, therefore the recommendation to not wear a mask. A mask gives a false sense of safety here.

By wearing a half face respirator with an acid cartridge you are completely eliminating your sense of smell and recoil-reflex which is what protects your eye from damage. By wearing cheap safety glasses your are potentially allowing acid fumes to accumulate around your eye. With no sense of smell those fumes can be corrosive to your corneas and cause eye damage. Either you wear a properly fit-tested and sealed full face respirator OR you wear nothing at all. A half respirator is a recipe for disaster.

Reactions: dfwnoob

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just do what mknauss said and don't handle it twice. I use over a gallon a week at the deep end return and have no problem. Only thing to be cognizant of is wind direction.
No need to get exact measure, eyeball it out of the jug.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.