Multifunction tablets

May 10, 2018
sugar land
When I was living in France, I had a covered pool. I was using multifunction tablets ($3 each). I just had to put one in the skimmer and replace it about every week when it was dissolved. I didn't have to take care of anything else. Just testing the pH 2 or 3 times a year. Why cannot we find these tablets in the US?

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I am sure there are similar ones ... like the 4-in-1 or the 6-in-1 ... of course we do not recommend them or maintaining a pool the way you previously were.

If you never got algae, then you happened to just get lucky. No way that 1 tablet added sufficient chlorine for an entire week.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

I am sure there are similar ones ... like the 4-in-1 or the 6-in-1 ... of course we do not recommend them or maintaining a pool the way you previously were.

If you never got algae, then you happened to just get lucky. No way that 1 tablet added sufficient chlorine for an entire week.

In 13 years in Europe, I never had algae using these tablets. My friends and neighbors neither, except one because his cleaning lady forgot to add tablets when he was away for two months.
These tablets are dissolving progressively. So the big difference is that it's a continuous process, with always the right balance between the different elements, keeping in their optimal range the different water parameters.

I used these tablets in UK and France. In their description, you can see that they recommend to add one tablet every week.
Coming back to the US, I have to manage a chemistry lab

Without testing you had no idea if your water safe.

You can buy the multifunction tablets here too. And use them. Unless you have large amounts of water exchange you will have problems in less than 6 months.

Take care.

Failure to understand how water chemistry works is a bug, not a feature.

Just because you threw some tablet in the pool once a week and didn't get algae doesn't mean it was keeping your water balanced. It means you threw something in the pool and the water looked ok to you so you believe it was balancing your water. But I can assure you that this is not a European thing, there are plenty of people in the US that also "care" for their pool this way. I would rather swim in a stagnant pond than a pool cared for in this manner...

I don't suppose you would happen to know what exactly was in the tablets, would you?

Ok ......

Well chemistry is the same over there as it is here. They do not have some magic tablets over there. If they did, I am sure they would be available here too ;)

Bottom line, you have no idea if your pool was balanced or safe. All you knew was whether you had algae or not.
A clear pool does not necessarily mean the water is safe. It could still allow disease transmission.

We can certainly tell you some chemicals to add that would just about guarantee you never get algae ... but the water would not be sanitized or safe.

I am sure you can find tablets similar to what you used over there and if you want to try that method and hope for the best, I wish you luck and hope no one gets sick.

If you run into problems, you know where to find us :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.