Moved and have no idea about new system

In regards to your DE filter it sounds like your best bet is to open it up, clean it and then add more DE (I use fiber instead of DE). My DE filter is a Pentair DNS Plus filter so I will be describing that.

The unit has a top half and a bottom half that is held together with filter clamp, this is basically a metal belt. When I want to clean my filter I turn off the pump and then turn off the breaker to the pump. After that I have to unscrew a cap that is on the bottom of the filter. Once that is unscrewed the water will start to come out of the filter onto the ground around it. I then will move out of the way and turn the pressure relief valve, in my case the pressure gage is connected to it and I just need to do a quarter turn or so. After this the water will start to rush out. I will let it drain from the filter and equipment area, after that I then will remove the filter clamp by unscrewing the spring nut. After that I remove the clamp and take the top of the filter off and place it to the side. Now what you should see is the filter grid assembly covered in a grayish slush like substance as well as dirt and debris if any went through your system.

In my case there are two handles at the top that say "Lift Here". Using those handles I will lift the assembly straight up and out of the bottom half of the filter. Depending the sqft of your filter and how much DE or fiber and dirt it can be heavy. I have a 60sqft filter and it is about 20 lbs or so i guess.

In order to thoroughly clean the filter grid I need to remove the top part by removing the two screws from the metal rods. After that I take the individual filter grids and lean them against the fence and spray them down with my hose, however if you are using DE I believe you will want to do this in a more controlled environment due to fact that it does not bio-degrade and can be an issue if it dries out and is then inhaled.

The hard part is putting the grids back together again so pay attention when you first take the top off. There should be one grid that is smaller than the rest, I always start by putting this one back in first. The top that you took off the grid earlier should have an opening that the pipe that is still in the filter will fit into. In my case this opening will be next to the short grid, if the grid was full size the top would not fit.

Basically reassemble, get the filter clamp back on and tightened until there are not gaps between the curls in the spring nut.

What I do is take one of those buckets that I use to get from the pool store tabs or other magic items and fill that halfway with water, I will then add the correct amount of DE/Fiber to that bucket and mix. Once I get the equipment running again I will dump that into the skimmer slowly.

I hope this long post helps

Link to what filter grids look like: http://www.amazon.com/Pentair-59023...id=1429294350&sr=8-8&keywords=DE+Filter+grids
Link to filter clamp: http://www.amazon.com/Hayward-D-E-C...id=1429294416&sr=8-5&keywords=DE+Filter+clamp

I would also recommend that you take one of the valves off just so you know what it looks like inside and what is happening when you turn it. It really helped me understand my equipment much better after seeing what it was and how it works. In my case they are Jandy valves and i just needed to remove the handle and then the 8 screws and pull it off.

Seriously, great post! And exactly what I needed!!!! Thank you so very much!!! I will try and do this Sunday, unfortunately all I will have time to do Saturday is brush and check shock level, but will definitely do this Sunday, maybe I can even rope the hubby into helping LOL

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, seriously, last question I promise!! I figured out the valves coming from the filter for back washing, but as far as my other return valves go, do I open them all completely, or all except for the vacuum?

No need to try not to ask questions, keep them coming until you figure it all out. And then start answering them. :)

Are your only two choices pool returns and spa? I don't have an attached spa, so this is a guess. I think you want to have some water going to the spa and most to the pool. Like 25% spa and 75% pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.