Motor faulty, or bad shaft seals? (Video)

BenB

Gold Supporter
Jul 24, 2020
San Jose, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
Hey folks.

The motor on my pump (V-Green 165 - see signature) is about 1 month old and I used new shaft seals while doing the swap. A few days ago I caught it making a horrible squealing noise while running on its low speed (850RPM) cycle. It has always squeaked briefly when turning on/off but I hadn't thought anything about it.

Manufacturer wants me to disassemble it, take photos and has warned that a warranty claim will be denied if it's an installation error. Of course given it's not been installed long I don't think there would be lasting damage even if I did so the seals wrong.

Based on the sound alone, does anyone have an opinion as to what it sounds like? I don't want to embarrass myself by pushing things with them if it's my mistake, but equally don't want to be a pushover.

Here's a link to the video:
Link

Thanks!

Last edited:
something is grabbing while it is running at all RPM's, it is just making the loud noise at 850 but you can hear the slight ticking noise in all the rpms... I would take it apart and see where it is rubbing... What seals did you use? Salt or SCS seals?

It may be the seals or the bearings, if the seals easy, if the bearing warranty.. I would order an SCS seal before taking it apart and if that is the cause just change it out... :)

Attachments

• Use-The-Right-Seal-For-Your-Pool-and-Spa-Pumps.pdf
    311.1 KB · Views: 5
Thanks!

I bought the official Jandy part.

Opened it up now, it squeaks when cranked by hand right up until I remove the spring side of the shaft seal.

Here's what the shaft looks like. Have I damaged anything irreversibly?

20210515_095857.jpg

Hi James. The answer is clearly 'no' but I'm not sure what I did wrong! The plate side is simple enough - press it on. The spring one is harder to push all the way down but I did it as best as I could.

Is there a surefire way to know when you've done it right?

Thanks again. Both of you have linked to third party seals. Is it safe to assume that the official Jandy part should be ok regardless of whether it's a 'salt' seal? They do not differentiate.

What seal did you get?

What is the model number of the pump?

I prefer the Ozone Salt seal since it is a better seal, but the OEM should be OK.

Manufacturers don't make their own seals, so the seal is probably made by U.S Seal anyway.

Seal says "John Crane Int 5/8 39" on it.

Pump is SHFP2.0-2 and it's the "newer" part based on higher serial number. R0479400.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Does it look like this?

ps-4280.jpeg

20210515_110839.jpg

Looks good to me.

Let's see how the lube goes and I'll reseat everything nice and snug.

Thanks for all the input!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.