Most effective way to have some peace and quiet

I've got five of them around, but the pump still bugs me. ;)

Agreed the discussion was off topic a bit, but I always enjoy these threads. I am interested in the power savings as well. As far as the builder, I wouldn't want to be forced into the more expensive choice or something done incorrectly, but had I been presented with "you can get the cheap single speed pump for $X or the VSP for $Y which gives you potentially reduced power bills and a quieter pump", I would have said definitely the VSP.
I can relate by pump in 5’ from us and with the old pump I turned it off when company came which stopped the waterfall.
With the VS I literally walk over thinking why isn’t my pump running, and we get to enjoy the water fall sound.

Quick anecdote about the acoustic enclosure option. We went down the path of getting an acoustically rated enclosure with engineered ventilation and acoustic absorption lining (a long story involving local noise laws) . The whole thing cost more than an Intelliflo (!!) but only makes a marginal difference to noise.

In the end we also got an Intelliflo for power effiency reasons, and find running it at low speed reduces noise far far far more than the acoustic enclosure.

There is a "replace your motor only" choice that I've used and I have to say it's worked well for me. I used a V-Green VS motor that's made by the same motor manufacturer as your current motor. I was reluctant to do this since it's not recommended by several experts on here including Jim and James that I've gotten a LOT of help from and have huge respect for. I think the main reason for this being not a recommended solution is the motor isn't matched to the pump. In many cases (maybe most) this doesn't really impact a lot but it's definitely a drawback. There is also a question of the design of the motor since it hasn't been out very long. Of course the main reason to go this way is price. That's what drove me to do it and I have to say I've been pleased. It got me to the VS world and I'm getting a little over 1 year payback even with my fairly low power costs. I found digital control without any extra adapters very easy to do with my new Intellicenter and it would also have worked equally well with my previous Jandy iAqualink RS. I'm only about 5 months in so it's a long way from a proven robust solution. But I sure do notice how amazingly quiet it is on low speed. I'm also able to run a lower high speed since I went the next size up on the impeller so I'm saving power even on high by reducing that from 3450 to 2850.. But that only happens when my solar needs the boost to get to the roof or my gas heater is running.

I also should say a part of the reason for me to try this is I like to play around with new stuff so that may not make it a good choice for many. Time will tell if this is really a good "second choice" option and I would also note if I could have talked my wife into a Pentair VS pump/motor that's the way I would have gone.

I hope this helps.

Chris

There is a "replace your motor only" choice that I've used and I have to say it's worked well for me. I used a V-Green VS motor that's made by the same motor manufacturer as your current motor. I was reluctant to do this since it's not recommended by several experts on here including Jim and James that I've gotten a LOT of help from and have huge respect for. I think the main reason for this being not a recommended solution is the motor isn't matched to the pump. In many cases (maybe most) this doesn't really impact a lot but it's definitely a drawback. There is also a question of the design of the motor since it hasn't been out very long. Of course the main reason to go this way is price. That's what drove me to do it and I have to say I've been pleased. It got me to the VS world and I'm getting a little over 1 year payback even with my fairly low power costs. I found digital control without any extra adapters very easy to do with my new Intellicenter and it would also have worked equally well with my previous Jandy iAqualink RS. I'm only about 5 months in so it's a long way from a proven robust solution. But I sure do notice how amazingly quiet it is on low speed. I'm also able to run a lower high speed since I went the next size up on the impeller so I'm saving power even on high by reducing that from 3450 to 2850.. But that only happens when my solar needs the boost to get to the roof or my gas heater is running.

I also should say a part of the reason for me to try this is I like to play around with new stuff so that may not make it a good choice for many. Time will tell if this is really a good "second choice" option and I would also note if I could have talked my wife into a Pentair VS pump/motor that's the way I would have gone.

I hope this helps.

Chris
My VS inyopools pump has the V green motor and I love it.
Inyopools folks are very helpful, can email them and ask.

Reactions: setsailsoon
I switched from a 1.75 HP Hayward to an Intelliflow VS in July 2015. My noise level went way down. Sometimes, I have to get closer to hear if it is running. The only time I really hear it is when it is priming or at 2500 rpm. My electric bill went from $574.00 per month to under $200.00 per month in August and September. Nice benefit and it was worth all the research finding the cheapest Intelliflow online. My local pool store wanted almost $4000.00 plus installation costs, but they recommended another 1.75 HP Hayward for more than I paid for the Intelliflow...plus installation costs. I am guessing, they would have made more money selling me the Hayward, or maybe they just had some old stock to sell.

Reactions: setsailsoon
I switched from a 1.75 HP Hayward to an Intelliflow VS in July 2015. My noise level went way down. Sometimes, I have to get closer to hear if it is running. The only time I really hear it is when it is priming or at 2500 rpm. My electric bill went from $574.00 per month to under $200.00 per month in August and September. Nice benefit and it was worth all the research finding the cheapest Intelliflow online. My local pool store wanted almost $4000.00 plus installation costs, but they recommended another 1.75 HP Hayward for more than I paid for the Intelliflow...plus installation costs. I am guessing, they would have made more money selling me the Hayward, or maybe they just had some old stock to sell.

It amazes me how expensive pool stores are for hardware and I wonder how many people just saw " Ok, sure"
Years ago I got it, but today a quick google search.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool store tried to talk me out of the Intelliflow I bought online. They said I would hate it. They built this pool many years ago according to them.
That's too bad. But not surprising as it violates two of my tried and true pool rules:
  • Never decide what to buy from advice from somebody that sells.
  • Never get pool operating advice from a pool builder.(except if they're also experts on here)
  • Never get a "free" pool store test result unless a TFP expert says to.

Last edited:
Reactions: acr1271
I have a 10x40 ft patio on the side of the pool, and then the pump is about 6 ft beyond that (behind some shrubs that do nothing as far as sound goes). It basically makes it so half of my 10x40 patio on the side of the pool is too noisy to really relax while it's on. Definitely sounds like the VSP would help.

Any idea what I would expect to pay for a 3HP VSP + installation in the new york area? My builder is quoting me $2800, which seems high. But I don't know. How involved is it to do myself? I am generally pretty handy with mechanical/electrical stuff, but haven't actually done something like this.

A,

The pump and VS motor are "married" together to get the flow and efficiency you want. I'm sure you could kluge something together, but it is not something that I would recommend.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I thought Century sells VSP motors specifically designed so you don't have to change the whole pump. They even have a cross reference chart to help you select the right motor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.