Morton Pool Salt from Home Depot really messed up my pool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Day 3 update.

Brown stain appears to be getting a bit less bad. I have been running filter and S20 Pool Vac pretty much constantly, and doing 4-5 brushings a day. I do notice on the white grout below the water line is slightly less white that the grout above the water. Since the grout is only 4 months old, should not have changed color much. I am guess one of the reasons the stain is looking less bad is that the entire pool is getting slightly stained? But overall, if the stain continues to 'blend in', I will just live with it.

I have yet to try the Vitamin C test (thank @kimkats for the idea). Plan to go out and buy some and try that today or tomorrow.

No other word from Morton. All they said they would do is to give me coupons for more salt, if I can find a store that will accept them as apparently Home Depot often does not. That, and they agreed to pick up the unused bags 'for free'. I could have returned them to Home Depot and actually gotten my money back, but I do not want to risk them putting that stuff on the shelf for someone else to buy. Home Depot would probably do just that. Aside from the headache and unknown future of my pool stain, I am also out $400 in expenses so far ($130 for salt, $70 for clarifier, $200 for 4 x 3030 pleated filters). Not going to break the bank, but not ideal.
Walmart accepts manufacturer’s coupons for in store purchases ( no store/grocery pickup or online).

Day 3 update.

Brown stain appears to be getting a bit less bad. I have been running filter and S20 Pool Vac pretty much constantly, and doing 4-5 brushings a day. I do notice on the white grout below the water line is slightly less white that the grout above the water. Since the grout is only 4 months old, should not have changed color much. I am guess one of the reasons the stain is looking less bad is that the entire pool is getting slightly stained? But overall, if the stain continues to 'blend in', I will just live with it.

I have yet to try the Vitamin C test (thank @kimkats for the idea). Plan to go out and buy some and try that today or tomorrow.

No other word from Morton. All they said they would do is to give me coupons for more salt, if I can find a store that will accept them as apparently Home Depot often does not. That, and they agreed to pick up the unused bags 'for free'. I could have returned them to Home Depot and actually gotten my money back, but I do not want to risk them putting that stuff on the shelf for someone else to buy. Home Depot would probably do just that. Aside from the headache and unknown future of my pool stain, I am also out $400 in expenses so far ($130 for salt, $70 for clarifier, $200 for 4 x 3030 pleated filters). Not going to break the bank, but not ideal.

A few thoughts:

- I see nothing that prevents disposing of salt in the garbage in California. Yes, it might have to be one a a week just for space/weight, but it's not hazardous waste.

- Morton should at the very minimum be willing to reimburse you for all of the bags (or instruct you to return the unopened ones and reimburse for the opened ones). I think you can and should ask them for your other costs also, but refunding their defective product is a baseline.

- If they are not, you should return the unopened bags to Home Depot for a refund.

- What makes you think Home Depot won't take those coupons -- who said that? I believe they don't take *competitor's* coupons (i.e. a Lowes coupon), but from everything I've seen they do take regular manufacturer's coupons.

If you could find a bag not labeled from that Mexico plant, it would be interesting to compare the contents side by side. But personally, from all the reports here I'm going to just stick with the Diamond Crystals brand going forward.

Day 4 update:

Discoloration of the plaster is definitely reducing. I can see a somewhat brown hue still in the deep end, but the water is finally clearing up and a natural blue color is returning. I have been monitoring chemistry very closely and aside from the lower than expected salt content, everything else has remained spot on. I have to remove and spray off my cartridge filters each evening, as well and shop-vac the inside of the filter housing to get rid of sand and brown/black gunk, and have put clarifier in a couple times now, but things seem to get getting back to normal. I feel good enough now to switch to the new filters I bought, and will throw away the old ones that were discolored from the salt gunk.

So thanks everyone for the support and ideas. I helps to have a community to bounce ideas off of and to commiserate with.

Did they pick up the salt?

Are you asking for compensation?

If yes, what are you asking for and have they replied with an answer?

Are they going to do an analysis of the salt?

If yes, are they going to let you know the results of the tests?

@JamesW and @jmastron , thanks for the ideas. I did learn that if I need to dispose of the salt, even in California it is OK to just put in trash (subject to weight limits). So that remains an option. I still resist returning to Home Depot since they would probably resell to someone else and I don't want that to happen. I only have 4 bags left, and it was only $8 per bag, so no big deal. They did say someone would come to pick up the bags, but I have not heard anything from them as far a when. But good idea to ask for report of what was in that salt so that I can know if I need to take other actions to clean the water.

As for Morton company, I told them my costs so far and asked for help with those costs. I have not asked for any compensation for the discoloration since I am hoping that will resolve itself over time. So far, they have not offered to pay for anything, not even a refund for the cost of the salt (16 bags x $8). Luckily the amount of money at this point is small (under $500 for the salt, water clarifier, and new filters) so if they ignore my request, I will just live with it. I will report back if I hear anything else from Morton.

Thanks again everyone who has replied with ideas and support.

Last edited:
Reactions: JamesW and Newdude
Are they going to do an analysis of the salt?
I'm sure they need as much as possible to try and determine which batch #s it came from, how many might be affected and if it's recall worthy. Especially at HD, the pallet on the shelf could have been stacked from several pallets from different batches/locations. They need as much info as they can get to see how to proceed.

I wouldn't expect any company to just blindly compensate anyone without doing their due diligence first. Hopefully they make things right after being given the chance.

Reactions: JamesW
............ i'll never eat a seasoned hamburger again. :(

*judge bangs gavel and awards me 17 million dollars*

• Haha
Reactions: JamesW
Edit - The below could be a rumor so take it with a grain of salt :)

At one point I saw that they were making salt from the brine/slurry from fracking at oil wells. The brine contains huge amounts of salt and other stuff you do not want in water and is hard to dispose of.

On paper, you can extract the salt, remove the other impurities, and re-introduce the purified water back into the water cycle. Sometimes things look better on paper, and I'm guessing your brown oily salt came from something like this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At one point I saw that they were making salt from the brine/slurry from fracking at oil wells. The brine contains huge amounts of salt and other stuff you do not want in water and is hard to dispose of.

On paper, you can extract the salt, remove the other impurities, and re-introduce the purified water back into the water cycle. Sometimes things look better on paper, and I'm guessing your brown oily salt came from something like this.

This was my first thought as well based on the OP’s description and pictures.

To the best of my knowledge from my friends (and old colleagues) working in the business, this is fake news.

Interesting. I thought Clorox was one if the companies getting salt from fracking brine waste?

The OP’s description and pictures certainly look like the salt is contaminated with oil. I guess this could of happened in the processing as well (machinery leaking oil into the product).

Eureka Resources sells salt from the waste brine to Cargill for the tanning of cow hides. Cargill processes 1500 cows a day.

If your couch or car seats are upholstered in leather, you might want to check the radiation level.

It also puts this same salt into bags and markets it as Clorox Pool Salt sold regionally to Walmart, Home Depot, and Lowe’s to treat swimming pools.

There is no testing of the product for radiation.

I don't want to jump to any conclusions on what was in the Morton Pool Salt I used in my pool. Though I referred to it as oily, it did not smell like a petroleum product. I also did not see any rainbow effects on the surface that you get with petroleum products. My guess is that it was just very dirty with perhaps organic compounds that gave it the oily gunky characteristics.

I have been hit with the tainted Morton salt. I bought mine from Home Depot in Antelope, CA. I dumped two bags before realizing it. Interestingly the 3 bags of Morton salt I bought earlier in the week from Home Depot in Roseville, CA were crystals and not the fine sand-like bags containing the brown slick. I will be returning the remaining bags and only buying the ones that are not so fine.

Mine cleared up but it looks like the sludge created from decaying waste film that I used to get in my bio filter for my koi pond. If you have ever been talked into Phos-free it looked exactly like that garbage.

I have been hit with the tainted Morton salt. I bought mine from Home Depot in Antelope, CA. I dumped two bags before realizing it. Interestingly the 3 bags of Morton salt I bought earlier in the week from Home Depot in Roseville, CA were crystals and not the fine sand-like bags containing the brown slick. I will be returning the remaining bags and only buying the ones that are not so fine.

Mine cleared up but it looks like the sludge created from decaying waste film that I used to get in my bio filter for my koi pond. If you have ever been talked into Phos-free it looked exactly like that garbage.
Definitely Call Morton’s & report the lot numbers.

Reactions: blueman2
If nothing else, now I know to check for crystals and not fine sand when dumping in bags of salt. Sorry y'all had to go through this.

I wonder if it might make sense to put a warning on TFP site to avoid Morton salt for now, or at least avoid the mfg code I listed earlier (Mexico LB23065002). This seems like the 3rd confirmation? Certainly appears like this was not just a few bags. I don't want anyone else to go through this. That is why I refuse to bring my remaining 4 bags back to Home Depot, to avoid someone else getting their pools messed up if Home Depot tries to resell them.

Reactions: Asherk74

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.