Mixing PVC Plumbing 1.5" & 2"

kgturner

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 5, 2014
Mobile, Alabama
I'm in the process of replacing my years old pump & sand filter. Presently, my pool is plumbed with 1.5" PVC. The run is fairly long (estimate 30+ feet to the pump & then more on the return). I ordered a 2HP variable speed pump which comes with both 1.5" & 2" adapters. The filter will be replaced later with a cartridge filter which has 2" in/return fittings. Plus I'm going to install a salt system (next season?) which also uses 2" fittings.

My plan is to plumb the pump for 1.5" entry, then 2" exit to 2" filter in to 2" to 1.5" adapter return. Eventually the 2" salt system will be installed between the pump exit & filter in. I figure this method uses the least amount of adapters since my pump/filter shed is kind of a tight space to work in.

Any problems with this tentative plan? Suggestions? Thanks!

Kevin T

kg,

I'd plumb the entire equipment pad for 2" just because it is easier to do.

It will make no difference in how the equipment works.

I have two old pools with 1.5" plumbing in the ground, but 2" at the pads. They work just the same as when they were all 1.5" but it made plumbing the pad easier than having some things 1.5" and other things 2".

Thanks,

Jim R.

dido for what @Jimrahbe said. I would keep as much on the pump pad plumbing 2". It's just easier since that is what most equipment takes now. You will also get slightly better overall flow as well if you have multiple 1.5" suction/returns feeding into a 2" pipe rather than bottle necking down multiple 1.5" suction/return lines into a single 1.5" pipe to/from the pump and filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.