Minimum pressure for effective filtration?

jeffr47

Bronze Supporter
Oct 19, 2018
Rockville, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
I just finished replumbing my system. I have a new Hayward VSP2302 with a Apollo VA-52 DE filter. During the refit, I replaced 3 elbows with straight runs and the remaining 3 elbows with sweeps. I have a Flowvis flow meter on the system.

So my question: if I dial the RPMs on the pump down to about 1000 rpm or so, the PSI on the filter drops to 0. I know I'm getting flow - the meter shows 20 GPM and I can feel it in the nozzles. Is there a minimum flow needed for effective filtration, or is this just showing me that I'm getting flow with minimal resistance and all's well?

Filters work best at low flow rates. So there is no minimum flow.
There could be a minimum flow for skimming.

Right, and I also have a check valve that needs a minimal flow rate to open as well. I'll just watch it and see what performance I get at lower pressures.

The check valve is part of the flow meter, so can't be removed. I don't need a check valve in this system, I know. Also know I don't need the flow meter, but I like having the information with the VSP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.