Milky white after phosphate remover

skudz

Jul 24, 2017
NY
I have a 30,000 gallon gunite inground pool that had some pool chemistry issues that I typically don't have. The past few days I had to shock the pool, raise the alkalinity, lower the pH, add calcium, and add chlorine stabilizer. I had my water tested again when it was almost clear and had 3300 ppb phosphates which they told me was very high. I added 3L of the Leslie's Nophos 24 hours ago and the pool turned milky white. The label says non cloudy formula so I am concerned this really screwed up my pool.

FC 15 ppm TC 15 ppm pH 7.4 TA 96 ppm CH 256 ppm CYA 35 ppm Phosphates 3300 ppb Iron 0.2 ppm Copper 0.3 TDS 1650

Any ideas? This year has been pretty expensive so far. I have a sand filter. After 24 hours the pool is unchanged still milky white, can't see pool robot at bottom. I added clarifier 4 hours ago nothing changed so far.

100% what Marty said. As you said, it has gotten expensive and that's an expense that can be avoided by self-testing and not following pool store sales-driven advice.

To add, the water is milky because of the phosphate remover. That's perfectly normal, any pool store employee with half a clue would know that (hint, hint). It is the remover binding with the phosphates. This cloudy mixture is then filtered out, phosphates and all. The phosphate test is showing zero because it is sequestered, but the phosphates are still in your water. The "non cloudy formula" just means there is a clarifier in the mixture to speed up the process, but it still gets cloudy and with a reading in the thousands will just take some time to clear.

But don't let my explanation take away from the fact that the phosphate removal was unnecessary. As was much of what you likely have been told to do...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.