Middle of SLAM and can't find more LC

Elkie108

Gold Supporter
May 14, 2020
Linwood, NJ
Hello! First time pool owner here :) I'm on day 3 of the "SLAM Method" (I put that in quotes because I realize I'm not really doing a SLAM until I get a proper test kit) and cannot find more LC. I've been making improvements daily while waiting for my TFT test kit to get here(hopefully Monday). I'll hold off on chemical questions until I have that in hand. But I'd like to keep my FC up so I don't back track until then.

The pool store has no LC until Monday and surrounding home improvement stores are out as well. Any suggestions/hacks where I could find LC or something suitable? Or, do I just wait until the test kit comes and pool store is restocked on Monday? Can I backtrack a lot between now and then?

Thanks in advance! I'm learning a lot from the resources here and it's much appreciated.

PS., below are pictures of my progress so far. Opening Day 5/5, Start of SLAM 5/14, SLAM D2 5/15, SLAM D3 5/16

Opening Day 5:5:2020.JPGStart of SLAM 5:14:2020.JPGSLAM D2 5:15:2020.JPGSLAM D3 5:16:2020.JPG

Reactions: JediKnight
Welcome to TFP.

Looks like you have made a lot of progress towards blue. You should be fine getting liquid chlorine on
Monday. Raise your FC back up when you get your LC then get serious when you get your test kit.

Reactions: Elkie108
Since you don't know what your CH level is yet, it's difficult to say whether granular Cal-hypo will be a good substitute.

I'll give you a clue. Down at the bottom of PoolMath is Effects of Adding Chemicals. Input your pool volume at the top, then see what 1 lb of Cal-hypo adds, Or 25 pounds. It might be a solution for the bleach shortage.

Then when you have your test kit, test CH and decide if you have room for more CH or not. If you do, then you know how much to buy. Just don't buy more than your pool can hold CH-wise.

Reactions: Elkie108
Walmart is out as well.

Looks like the test kit is coming today. I will test CH to make sure the Cal-Hypo is a backup possibility. If the store tests have been at all accurate, CH has been hanging around 125ppm; pool math says 28oz(48%) would only raise it 5ppm.

But so far no back tracking, yay! Thanks all!

Have you tried looking at our liquid chlorine tracker? Where to find Liquid Chlorine - Trouble Free Pool
We are trying to build a system to help locate were liquid chlorine may be available for our members.
I have, unfortunately no stores are listed close enough worth the drive. Luckily it looks like I'm continuing to make progress. I can see the main drain today. Will continue to vac and brush till the kit comes. Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.