Jul 1, 2022
Mebane NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello all,
I am new here but I found this forum helpful and I thought I would post our build. Our build is not complete yet but is fairly far along. I will do several post from the beginning til now, which should happen fairly quickly and then slow down with the build. I also plan on doing some post on the landscaping and amenities that we are adding like an outdoor kitchen and Cabana (IF the powers that be are OK that I can post about the amenities)

A little background - We started to plan for a pool a little over a year ago, the idea really came from my older sister which I think is ingenuous on her part because she has convinced us to get a pool, my other sister to get a boat and I think my little brother maybe stuck getting a mountain cabin. Smart girl there.
Anyway we decided to get a pool, and I knew absolutely nothing about pools beforehand. We looked at all three types of pools and weighed the pros and cons of each. I really liked the Gunite pools due to some of the customizations. The two items that swayed us against the Gunite pool were the maintenance and the cost, out initial estimate was north of 250k and that was substantially more than we wanted to spend. Fiberglass was a real option and only because of the size and location did we nix it. So in the end we went with a Vinyl liner pool.
We then went looking for both a builder and a landscape designer, because of the times that we live in neither was easy to find, but after some search we did find a couple that we liked. The first picture here is to the conceptual drawing from our designer. It is pretty close the what we are going to do in the end. The two biggest changes are that we dumped the spillover hot tub and we have moved the stand alone Hot tub to a different location.
Well that is a start I will continue with the next installment shortly.
Kevin
PS I would be happy to give you the names of the designer and pool builders if you want them.
Pool hardcape.PNG

Adding onto the story,
The pool was being added onto our side yard which was covered with woods. We live in the
county and are on a septic system that I did not want to move and I had plenty of room for the pool, it just needed to be cleared.

Woods.JPG
I spent a good amount of time clearing the smaller trees but I called in a tree company to clear 9 of the larger ones. Well worth it because those guys are crazy.
Wife kidnapping the tree guys dog.JPG
This is a picture of my wife kidnapping (Dognapping) the tree guys puppy
More to come

Next step
I got a lot of wood

Logs and Flossie.JPG
This is just a small pile and I figured that you didn't want more pics of wood
I then rented an excavator to get rid of the stumps, and that was boyishly fun.

loading stumps.JPG

The Dig.
OK after the stumps were out I had to do the layout and pull the permits. Our area is in a building boom so pulling the permits is not a quick endeavor and I lost about 10 weeks waiting on the county, but it was finally done, of course after that was done it gave clearance for the pool company to dig and they were of course behind and I lost another 8 weeks. But finally in may they came and did the layout. Pool layout by rising sun.PNG
The blue lines are of course where the pool goes and I will say that it did look kind of small.
The next week they started the dig
The Start dig day 1.jpg
Next Walls going updig day 2.jpg
Finishing the walls digday 3.jpg
Next day was laying in the underlayment floor

Dig day 4.jpg
And finishing out the floor
Dig day 5.jpg
After this the pool has to sit 30 days to settle.
And I will continue this shortly.

Reactions: Lanzz
Hey KL and Welcome !!!!

*you other newbs take notice. THAT is how you make an entrance right there.

Bravo on the progress KL. Best wishes with the remainder. :)

It has been a little bit so I will continue with the build. After the initial build is done you have to let the pool sit for 30 days to allow it to settle. And it will settle.settling.jpg
Also you will get wild life in the pool. Snake in pool.jpg
I found that laying a 2x4 into the pool allowed the snakes to escape.
More later

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.