Maytronics Dolphin Drive Motor

er8ser

Nov 18, 2020
FL
Hello,
I am trying to find a drive motor for a dolphin active 20. 24V number 52ZY24-50. I can't seem to find them on the web. Anyone know where i can source one?

Thank you!

Attachments

• motor.jpg
    motor.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 80
Reactions: mcba2020
Welcome to TFP :)

Inyo pools is a great resource we use here.. They can find it :)

Reactions: er8ser
Thanks all! Seems everyone just wants to sell the whole "motor" (attached) for $429-$500. Found the impeller motor but overseas or only in bulk. Marina usually has everything but not this and i spoke with Inyo yesterday...they don't even have the "motor". Pool Partz, just the whole "motor".
About a $6 motor produced in China, selling for $180 if you can find it...or you can buy the US customer friendly version, the $500 Maytronics motor!
Got a couple leads stateside but thinking they are just cannibalized.

Attachments

• 51bQUNPrL7L._AC_UL320_.jpg
    51bQUNPrL7L._AC_UL320_.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: Apsuhead
I am watching this thread since I am the one that replaced the S200 motor with the help of Marina. The warranty replacement was the entire drive unit.

I expect that the real part on mine was the impeller motor - I have not been inside the old motor but it looks dead easy to swap out the actual motor from the entire drive assembly.

If you can, post up a pic of the inside of the motor assembly.

Reactions: markayash
Hey, sorry...already put the impeller motor back together after changing the top bearing. The bottom bearing was unreachable without completely disassembling the motor which i don't have the ability to do. This video from u-tube is almost exactly the same as the 52ZY24-50 motor i tore down. Getting the two bolts that run the length of the motor to line up while keeping them away from the magnets was, frankly, dumb luck. The video kind of glances over that part...i think he says it wasn't easy...it was pure luck for me. After putting it back together and reassembling the whole thing, unfortunately the impeller was still not producing enough suction. I have an email into a Danish pool company to get a new impeller motor so i'll let you know how that works out!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My impeller motor died as well. I ordered the bearings as in the video but upon tearing down the motor, it wasn’t the bearings. A bunch of carbon fell out as if the motor had been burnt as an offering to the pool gods. Has anyone been able to source a replacement impeller motor?

You might try replacing the carbon brushes. Look at the end of the motor where the copper is on the armature. You can most likely pick brushes at a local electrical supply or from Amazon. Cheaper than bearings!

My Pentair Prowler 920 (Dolphin Active 20) would only go a few feet and shut down. Using the YouTube video above I pulled it apart. It looked like something had burned up, but on inspection this was carbon/graphite dust from the impeller brushes. I pulled apart the impeller motor and cleaned it up (wiped it down with a cloth), reassembled and it's now working. I probably should have use compressed air to blow it out, but it cleaned up pretty well. I think the dust is a normal byproduct of a DC motor that uses brushes. Note: it made a huge mess, so put down an old towel and keep plenty of paper towels and soap on hand.

Attachments

• IMG_8043.JPG
    IMG_8043.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8042.JPG
    IMG_8042.JPG
    545.1 KB · Views: 52
My Pentair Prowler 920 (Dolphin Active 20) would only go a few feet and shut down. Using the YouTube video above I pulled it apart. It looked like something had burned up, but on inspection this was carbon/graphite dust from the impeller brushes. I pulled apart the impeller motor and cleaned it up (wiped it down with a cloth), reassembled and it's now working. I probably should have use compressed air to blow it out, but it cleaned up pretty well. I think the dust is a normal byproduct of a DC motor that uses brushes. Note: it made a huge mess, so put down an old towel and keep plenty of paper towels and soap on hand.
Update...I was able to run a few cycles, but then the robot shut down again. Robot is 5 years old, so I went ahead and ordered a new motor unit. When I get a chance I will pull the motor unit apart and see what I can learn. I suspect the impeller is working, but there is too much resistance/torque on the impeller motor and the robot is shutting down.

Update...I was able to run a few cycles, but then the robot shut down again. Robot is 5 years old, so I went ahead and ordered a new motor unit. When I get a chance I will pull the motor unit apart and see what I can learn. I suspect the impeller is working, but there is too much resistance/torque on the impeller motor and the robot is shutting down.
Any update on this ?

Any update on this ?
I never re-visited this after replacing the entire motor unit which by the way was expensive. The impeller motor is definitely the issue, but you can't find a replacement for just the impeller motor anywhere. In theory you could replace the brushes on the motor, but it looked tricky and again...you would need to find the right replacement brushes. Similar to others, the bearing was not the issue...it seemed to be worn brushes as the issue.

I can't wait to get mine apart (failed just after 2 years). Surely there is a compatible generic motor out there that could be easily sourced and soldered in to work!?

I'm guessing mine is bearings, or brushes, or both.

I wish there was a way to modify or even eliminate the test cycle. I can get my impeller to run (when it decides not to) by giving it a flick, but the cleaner still fails its test cycle. I wish I could force it to run anyway. Cleaning with a weaker impeller motor would be better than nothing, or even a brush only cycle.

Brushless motors in this application would be ideal. Or, even still the brushed motors so motor controllers are more simple, but make the motors more accessible, and readily available off the shelf, for servicing when necessary.

All you folks with Dolphin failures, do you run them daily and leave them in the pool? Curious because I have a 9 year old Aquabot 4WD still going strong with no repairs. I did pull it out after use and use it maybe twice a week (unless leaves are falling). Been looking at Dolphin, but so many repair issues after 2-5 years seems extreme.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.