Maytronics Dolphin Drive Motor

er8ser

Nov 18, 2020
FL
Hello,
I am trying to find a drive motor for a dolphin active 20. 24V number 52ZY24-50. I can't seem to find them on the web. Anyone know where i can source one?

Thank you!

Attachments

markayash

Gold Supporter
Mar 21, 2016
Atlanta Ga
These guys sell refurbished Dolphins and might be able to help.

Reactions: er8ser

er8ser

Nov 18, 2020
FL
Thanks all! Seems everyone just wants to sell the whole "motor" (attached) for $429-$500. Found the impeller motor but overseas or only in bulk. Marina usually has everything but not this and i spoke with Inyo yesterday...they don't even have the "motor". Pool Partz, just the whole "motor".
About a $6 motor produced in China, selling for $180 if you can find it...or you can buy the US customer friendly version, the $500 Maytronics motor!
Got a couple leads stateside but thinking they are just cannibalized.

Attachments

djw

Gold Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
Colleyville, TX
I am watching this thread since I am the one that replaced the S200 motor with the help of Marina. The warranty replacement was the entire drive unit.

I expect that the real part on mine was the impeller motor - I have not been inside the old motor but it looks dead easy to swap out the actual motor from the entire drive assembly.

If you can, post up a pic of the inside of the motor assembly.

Reactions: markayash

er8ser

Nov 18, 2020
FL
Hey, sorry...already put the impeller motor back together after changing the top bearing. The bottom bearing was unreachable without completely disassembling the motor which i don't have the ability to do. This video from u-tube is almost exactly the same as the 52ZY24-50 motor i tore down. Getting the two bolts that run the length of the motor to line up while keeping them away from the magnets was, frankly, dumb luck. The video kind of glances over that part...i think he says it wasn't easy...it was pure luck for me. After putting it back together and reassembling the whole thing, unfortunately the impeller was still not producing enough suction. I have an email into a Danish pool company to get a new impeller motor so i'll let you know how that works out!

djw

Gold Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
Colleyville, TX
That video is excellent for anyone needing dive further into fixing their broken $400 drive unit, potentially for pennies.

Sourcing replacements for the motors would also be golden.

Reactions: markayash

GamecockTim

Feb 12, 2016
Fort Mill SC
My impeller motor died as well. I ordered the bearings as in the video but upon tearing down the motor, it wasn’t the bearings. A bunch of carbon fell out as if the motor had been burnt as an offering to the pool gods. Has anyone been able to source a replacement impeller motor?

dschlic1

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 5, 2007
Valrico, FL
You might try replacing the carbon brushes. Look at the end of the motor where the copper is on the armature. You can most likely pick brushes at a local electrical supply or from Amazon. Cheaper than bearings!