Maybe I am doing this wrong?

Jun 25, 2020
Kentucky
Salt water pool. I have a taylor test kit, tested my water, first of all water looks crystal clear. Fc 3 CyA 40. Ph 7.6. ALK 220.... why would my ALK be so high? And what should I do about it? I do not want to mess up the PH. Maybe I messed up the testing? I am new to the taylor test... I have never added anything to make ALK high. My pool is basically maintenance free . I do not do much to it the salt water chlorinator takes care of it. I did add liquid chlorine after they mowed two hayfield around me recently just because it was so full of bugs and dirt to quickly clean it up and kill everything.

Welcome to TFP! I'm fairly new as well but you will find everyone on here really helpful. Some of the experts will come on and ask you some details about your pool. In general though if you have the Taylor test kit and it is new then sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent that by wiping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop. Hold it vertically and let gravity do the work - think big drops. I think my first test (no wiping the dropper) I had an TA of 400! So try it again.

It also helps to know what you are starting with. Test the water you fill the pool with as well.

Good luck. This is a great place!

Jamie,

See the saltwater part of this chart... FC/CYA Levels

We recommend that anyone with a saltwater pool keep there CYA at about 70.. this means keeping your FC at about 5 ppm.. Your 3 ppm is right at the minimum.

Unless you are having problems with your pH, I would not worry about your TA.. I suspect that your fill water is high in TA. or.. as bb above point out a testing error.

We never recommend adjusting TA just to get to a number.. Don't change TA unless you are trying to solve a problem with your pH.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Jamieleigh0110
Thank you both so much. You make me feel better. I will take your suggestions about retesting, tomorrow. And and currently working on my CYA. I added some yesterday , but from what I read it may take a day or so to show up in test results. So hopefully i will slowly be moving up in CYA and FC will follow. 😀

Welcome to TFP! I'm fairly new as well but you will find everyone on here really helpful. Some of the experts will come on and ask you some details about your pool. In general though if you have the Taylor test kit and it is new then sometimes a static electric charge can build up on the R-0009 dropper bottle tip, causing the drops to be smaller than usual and making the test read higher than actual. You can prevent that by wiping the tip of the dropper bottle with a damp cloth or tissue before you start and after each drop. Hold it vertically and let gravity do the work - think big drops. I think my first test (no wiping the dropper) I had an TA of 400! So try it again.

It also helps to know what you are starting with. Test the water you fill the pool with as well.

Good luck. This is a great place!
Thank you so much for the welcome and I cant wait to use this advice! I just got the test kit! So although it is exciting , it is somewhat overwhelming.

Reactions: bbrowncods
Update. Cya 50. Fc 3 . Ph 7.8 Alk 170. I am pretty sure I messed the first Alk test up 🤷‍♀️ still seems high . But I am less concerned than I was . I have added more stabilizer and went ahead and added liquid chlorine precautionary because of all the rain. I have read that with saltwater you run the risk of having high PH and I am keeping an eye on that. I have checked out Pool School a little bit, not as much as I would like yet, i know at 8.0 i have hit the limit of normal PH... hopefully it will line itself out. I do not know what muriatic acid is but the name scares me a little. Is there another option? Had alot of swimmers yesterday and a day full of rain today, expecting more rain this week...

Last edited:
Don’t worry about your TA. You’ll probably have to add muriatic acid periodically to lower your pH. That same acid will also lower your TA. I had the same issue with high TA from my tap water and now I actually have to add baking soda sometimes to raise my TA.

You’ll need muriatic acid. Don’t let it scare you. Vinegar is acid as well (acetic acid). You should be careful handling muriatic acid, but just take some common sense precautions. Wear gloves and eye protection, pour slowly in front of a return, and stand upwind so that any fumes blow away from you. Do it a few times and it won’t be a big deal

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.