New customer with hazy water

ryang6

In The Industry
Mar 15, 2023
Florida
I just took on a new customer that has a haziness issue that I can’t quite figure out. It has an interesting history which I will do my best to explain although there are some important gaps, nonetheless I have to move forward in trying to fix it.

Customer had black spots on the wall of the pebble finish. She complained to pool guy and they put something in that made it milky, cloudy (has no idea what was used). She said the stains stayed the same but the water started to clear. She then fired the pool guy, did jacks test and decided to use Jacks Magic treatment 2. She said she followed the instructions to a t. When she brought the Alk and chlorine back up post treatment which she said she did slowly the water started to turn hazy.

Here is where I come in. It’s been a little over a month since the treatment. I’ve cleaned the filter a few times, vacuumed brushed etc. nothing comes off the walls and looks to have no algae. Still don’t know what the black is but I see it and brushing has no affect. Here are the current pool levels
FC - it’s reading no chlorine but combined is 6 which jacks treatment says to use combined as FC until acid goes away.
Alk -70
ph - 7.6
Cya -70
Hardness - 200

This is a non salt pool. The filter is new and pressure good. The water itself is clean and the water doesn’t look too bad when cloudy but when the sun hits at an angle it looks very hazy. I can see the bottom drains but the hazy hasn’t cleared up at all over the last couple of weeks with me keeping the levels in line. Phosphates are high at 1500 but I haven’t treated yet because I didn’t want to cause more cloudiness.

What do you guys think? I’m wondering if the pool guy used sequestrant, then she put in two more bottles for the treatment. However, she did say it didn’t turn hazy until she started bringing back up the Alk and ph. Initially I was getting fast rising ph but that seems to have leveled off. Clarifier needed?? I’m at a loss on this one.

Jacks Magic 2 is sulfamic acid. You can read about is effects in Acid - Further Reading

Haziness is probably caused by algae the pool got while the FC was low. It becomes difficult doing our normal process of Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and SLAM Process with the sulfamic acid interference for chlorine testing.

If the pool can be drained and refilled with fresh water that is the easiest path to a clear pool.

It can take a long time for the sulfamic acid interference to clear and get to normal chlorine testing.

How is the pool chlorinated?

I use chlorine liquid. The customer is not interested in draining at this point. It’s weird though. I feel like it’s not algae because the water itself seems really clear just hazy when the light catches it. I could be wrong. Plus def no green anywhere (walls, floor. filter etc.) When I add the chlorine it seems to make it more hazy in the area I pour it but could be imagining it.

Algae can be in a perfectly clear pool, then as it replicates the pool gets hazy before any green may show on surfaces.

The Overnight Chlorine Loss Test scientifically determines if chlorine is consumed by algae overnight but is difficult to do with the sulfamic acid interference.

Algae can be in a perfectly clear pool, then as it replicates the pool gets hazy before any green may show on surfaces.

The Overnight Chlorine Loss Test scientifically determines if chlorine is consumed by algae overnight but is difficult to do with the sulfamic acid interference.
thanks for the info. I am really hoping the fc reading comes back soon. I’m going to increase the chlorine and hope the stains don’t return worse. Do you think adding filter fiber will help? I know the customer did not do this as part of jacks treatment, she replaced the filter cartridge right before it went cloudy.

The customer is not interested in draining at this point.
If you feel like draining is required and the customer refuses, you might need to drop the customer.

If you cannot win, then it is not worth the trouble.

Don't keep working with the customer if they are not going to allow you to do what you need to do.

Call the old service person and ask them their side of the story.

Can you show pictures of the pool?

Note: Never drain a pool unless you are 100% sure that it is safe to do so.

Pools in Florida are especially susceptible to popping out of the ground.

Reactions: Newdude
I’m going to lift the chlorine but I’m all my years have never seen algae look like this type of haze. Because of all the stain treatment chems I’m just curious if there is a reaction there.
The guy before you created a chemical stew that is not normal pool chemistry.

Live with the haze or dump the water.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.