Max-e-therm vs Hayward

Poolguy99

Silver Supporter
May 2, 2018
Boston
I’m looking to put in a 400k btu heater in my 20x40 pool and trying to decide between the two different models/manufacturers.

The max is about $800 cheaper than the Hayward so not that much of a difference, I’m just looking to get any feedback from owners good or bad.

Thanks

Over 10 years of installing them, I find them to be a great unit. I am also becoming a fan of the Jandy JXI but I am still more drawn to the Raypak/Rheem unit.

Over 10 years of installing them, I find them to be a great unit. I am also becoming a fan of the Jandy JXI but I am still more drawn to the Raypak/Rheem unit.

Thanks. The more I look into the Haywards the more I get scared of them (being loud, breaking down more often, etc.).

I was looking at the Rheem's but the 406's look huge!! Its looks like the compressor I have for my central air unit, but this will be sitting right next to my pool.

What about the noise level on the Rheem's? When these are running, I don't want them to sound like a vacuum cleaner. Thanks

I'm very happy with my Raypak 266A, installed just over a year ago, going on 2 seasons.
I bought it solely based from the many satisfied customers here.

My furnace and A/C unit are coincidentally, also Rheem, going on 12 years of reliable service.

I'm very happy with my Raypak 266A, installed just over a year ago, going on 2 seasons.
I bought it solely based from the many satisfied customers here.

My furnace and A/C unit are coincidentally, also Rheem, going on 12 years of reliable service.

This was too bad. After being convinced by everyone, including my research done online, I was ready to move forward with the Raypak but there are no dealers in the area still in business or service people from their site with good reputations (using both the Rheem and raypak’s dealer locator). I even reached out to their regional salesperson looking for help but never heard back.

I called a bunch of pool shops and was basically told unless they install it, they won’t touch it. So I actually found a local shop selling the Hayward 400 for 1999 plus 300 install so I’m going to have to begrudgingly move forward with the Hayward.

It seems as if Raypak are better heaters, but if you can’t get them purchased locally or installed, what would it mean for service if there ever was an issue???

Thanks for everyone’s help and guidance on this!

oh darn! sorry to hear that.

Stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I was relieved to hear the local pool co I trust was in fact a certified dealer/installer for Raypak/Rheem.

Bummer there aren't any in Boston.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.