Macomb, Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-30
Hi! I have a Mastertemp 250 and heater was working earlier this season, then it started going on for 10 min then off.
We have intelliconnect and I’ve deleted all pool equipment, restarted breaker (multiple times) deleted app from phone and re-installed, changed thermistor which got the heater working for a day and we could somehow manually move the temp. Display was saying 98 degrees and the water temp is actually 79. Display won’t let me lower the temp and now the heater shows on and running in app but it’s not running and display is blank. Green pool light is on. I’ve changed all the major sensors, flue stack, high limit switch, AGS and thermistor. Took blower to inside of heater in case something got wet and nothing. PLEASE HELP! I’m at my wits end- I also have a new display pad/ membrane coming today…..thank you!

Welcome to TFP.

Shotgunning parts replacements rarely fixes a problem but lightens your wallet.

Which display is saying 98? The Pentair HOME app or the MasterTemp control panel?

Which display will not let you lower the temp? Pentair HOME or the MasterTemp control panel?

Master temp display showing 98
Pentair home app says 79

Master temp won’t let me lower

When the MasterTemp is under IntelliConnect control the MasterTemp temperature should be set to 104F and left there. The IntelliConnect does all temperature control.

Why are you lowering the MasterTemp ?

When the MasterTemp is under IntelliConnect control the MasterTemp temperature should be set to 104F and left there. The IntelliConnect does all temperature control.

Why are you lowering the MasterTemp ?
I didn’t do it my husband did and I am the one trying to fix it. So how do I fix this to just work on my phone?

But thank you for letting me know it has to stay at 104! I couldn’t find this anywhere when googling, researching this weekend- do you know how to get the temp back on the display? It’s been blank but lit up. And sometimes temp shows and sometimes doesn’t

But thank you for letting me know it has to stay at 104! I couldn’t find this anywhere when googling, researching this weekend-

It is in the IntelliConnect manual

1716820938503.png
do you know how to get the temp back on the display? It’s been blank but lit up.

When there is no call for heat by the IntelliConnect the MasterTemp is powered off and the display will be blank. You need to ask for heat to get the display lit up.
And sometimes temp shows and sometimes doesn’t

You can manually turn on the heater as described in the manual...

1716821378285.png

So get the heater powered on with the pump running and see if you can adjust the temperature at the MasterTemp control panel up to 104F.

Let me know what happens.

Thank you! 😊 I appreciate you- don’t know where the manual is and I’ve spent so much time looking online on YouTube and came across here- we were always told we wouldn’t turn the heater on in service mode!

I just had the heater going thru app and display was not on but it started running- just lowered temp on inteliconnect- it’s cooling down and after cool down ill service mode it and follow instructions- if this works and the issue was the intelliconnect the entire time im sending you candy or something

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you! 😊 I appreciate you- don’t know where the manual is and I’ve spent so much time looking online on YouTube and came across here- we were always told we wouldn’t turn the heater on in service mode!

I just had the heater going thru app and display was not on but it started running- just lowered temp on inteliconnect- it’s cooling down and after cool down ill service mode it and follow instructions- if this works and the issue was the intelliconnect the entire time im sending you candy or something

You can download manuals from the Pentair website...

I like 70+% dark chocolate bars.

You can download manuals from the Pentair website...

I like 70+% dark chocolate bars.
Perfect! I’ll send you chocolate for sure! I didn’t see trouble shooting for display where the heating light is on, pool light on, screen lit but no temp on screen- should I restart and shut down breakers to see? I guess our installer is to blame for not going thru everything with us. I’m going to be doing your pool school asap

Ok the holding relay 1 & 2 got the heater on- it’s heating but display is still blank-
Looks like your heater display failed. The display is attached to the heater board and cannot be replaced separately.

6291-150-03.jpg

You can run the heater using the Intelliconnect controls without the display. You will be fine until you have some heater problem that requires the display for diagnostics.

How old is the heater?

Looks like your heater display failed. The display is attached to the heater board and cannot be replaced separately.

You can run the heater using the Intelliconnect controls without the display. You will be fine until you have some heater problem that requires the display for diagnostics.

How old is the heater?
It’s 5 years old- sometimes the temp display works and sometimes it doesn’t- so I can’t get the display cover with the membrane ribbon to fix the issue?

6291-150-03.jpg

How old is the heater?
I get what you’re saying with control board. - if I can run it by intelliconnect; how will that work since the heater the last time the temp showed was 86 on the heater. When in service mode will the heater kick off at 86? Or keep going? I’m sorry I’m so not technology or electrical friendly

It’s 5 years old- sometimes the temp display works and sometimes it doesn’t- so I can’t get the display cover with the membrane ribbon to fix the issue?

You may also have a membrane keypad problem. Impossible to say how many problems you have. You can buy one of the knockoff membrane keypads on Amazon that are inexpensive and see what that fixes.

I get what you’re saying with control board. - if I can run it by intelliconnect; how will that work since the heater the last time the temp showed was 86 on the heater. When in service mode will the heater kick off at 86? Or keep going?

The heater will kick off at whatever maximum temperature is set in the heater control panel. That overrides the Intelliconnect.

You can try pressing the temperature up key on the keypad and see if it will increase.

It sounds like you have a flaky control board that may be causing the display and keypad problems.

I caution you about getting an non-Pentair replacement control board. They have worked for some people and others have nothing but trouble with them. Read Pentair MasterTemp Heaters - Further Reading

You may also have a membrane keypad problem. Impossible to say how many problems you have. You can buy one of the knockoff membrane keypads on Amazon that are inexpensive and see what that fixes.

The heater will kick off at whatever maximum temperature is set in the heater control panel. That overrides the Intelliconnect.

You can try pressing the temperature up key on the keypad and see if it will increase.

It sounds like you have a flaky control board that may be causing the display and keypad problems.

I caution you about getting a non-Pentair replacement control board. They have worked for some people and others have nothing but trouble with them. Read Pentair MasterTemp Heaters - Further Reading
We have display after a reset- and now set at 104 and working on intelliconnect-

Attachments

• IMG_3007.jpeg
    IMG_3007.jpeg
    476.4 KB · Views: 2