got_to_diy

Jul 11, 2020
california
Hello - I have the Intelliflo VSF with the control panel (which is remote), it is great to set the pump schedule, but I want to connect my MasterTemp heater to run (have power) only when the pump runs. I have an intelliChlor which came with a communication cable that I do not use because it is on a separate timer. I'd like to use that communication cable with the MasterTemp. How and where do I connect the 2 wire to the heater? And if I do, will the heater turn off when the pump turns off? We do not have a timer since we use the control panel that comes on the Intelliflo VSF.

Jim R.
Yes, that is what I have read thus far in my search. So I am concerned if I forget to turn the heater off and the pump scheduler shuts the pool pump off, is this at all damaging to the heater? If not, even if I leave it on all the time? I have all Pentair equipment.
Thank you Jim for your assistance.

diy,

The heater will not run if the pump is not running due to the pressure switch in the heater.. The only thing you don't want to do is shut off the pump while the heater is still heating.. You want the heater to cool down first..

Thanks,

Jim R.

The timer for the Intellichlor should be set within the operating window of the pump program.

A Fireman's switch on the timer should shut off the heater a few minutes before the chlorinator shuts off

That makes sure that the heater can only operate within the pump operating window.

Thank you for taking a gander at my pool equipment issues...I appreciate the input thus far...

Alright, to summarize, the heater will not run if the pump is not running, good. Although, how do you ensure that the heater is not heating when the pump goes off?

I had placed a switch for the heater independently, but then realized "what if the pump goes off and someone forgot to turn the heater switch off". It seems the remote panel/scheduler for the IntelliFlo VSF is a nice idea, but the fact that it does not connect and control other appliances (heater and chlorinator) without an additional controller causes a bit of problems.

Regarding having a fireman's switch to shut the heater off a few minutes before the chlorinator and the pump...that means I need multiple fireman's switch. And what about when we want to run the heater at 11 pm for the spa? I really want to avoid people needing to manually put their (potentially wet) hands in to turn on or off the fireman's switch.

My goal was to avoid purchasing a "controller" for $400-$600 to simply turn on and off my equipment. But I am finding that to safeguard the equipment, I may need a controller.

You can just allow the pump to run continuously at a low RPM so that there is never zero flow.

Select a speed like 1,200 to 1,500 as the default speed.

Then, you can set other speeds as you like.

The higher speed will override the lower speed until the higher speed is turned off and then the pump will default to the lower speed. The lower speed does not cost much to run, so it's not a big deal to let it run continuously.

Pentair says their heaters don't need a cool-down cycle. I have observed no ill effects from shutting off my pump & heater at the same time. This is from the EasyTouch manual:
heaters.png

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would recommend the Cool Down period for any heater regardless of whether or not the manufacturer says it's necessary.
I would think so, too. But if it requires a boatload of extra complexity, it could be skipped.

Also, I realized I don't really shut off my pump & heater simultaneously because my heater is only for the integrated spa. I generally return to Pool mode after using the spa, so the heater cools down anyway.

JamesW, I liked your solution, but when I went to set it, I found that the manual for the MasterTemp 250 has a required minimum flow rate of 25gpm, which equates to about 2200 rpms on my intelliflo. Therefore, if I set the rpms to 1200 rpms, the flow rate will be much lower than the required 25 gpm the heater requires, in this case, what happens to the heater? Is it ok to have the heater on without the required gpm flowing?

The lower speed will only be for when the heater is off or turning off and in cooldown mode, not when the heater is actually on.

When you want to use the heater, you just turn up the pump speed to the required speed. The low speed default setting is just to prevent the heater from getting no flow when the pump turns off.

Pentair says their heaters don't need a cool-down cycle. I have observed no ill effects from shutting off my pump & heater at the same time. This is from the EasyTouch manual:
View attachment 152502
Rocket J Squirrel, thank you for that information...I am getting closer to my needed answer. Now for the rest of the question. The heater is not connected to the same timer as the pump, hence the pump could turn off and the heater is still on (powered up). So if this happens each night when my pump shuts down, there is nothing to shut the heater down (yes, I could install a fireman's switch, but due to power outages, etc. it might not be aligned with the pump timer). What happens to the heater if it is not shut off each night?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.