Making the switch from BA to Chlorine

Campmorrissey

Apr 28, 2021
Boston
Hello, I am following the instructions of my local pool store in making the switch to chlorine (from BAQ), and they have me lowering the BAQ level to less than 10 ppm before I start adding chorine shock. I believe the goal is to minimize the "baqua-goo". To achieve this goal, I have been doing repeated cycles of adjusting my ph to 7.0, then adding 12 lbs of non-chlorine shock to my 15,000 gallon above ground 24 ft round pool. It costs me about $75 each time I do it, and after 2 cycles my BAQ levels have gone from 63 ppm (at opening) to around 50 ppm.

Question One: I have a case of Baquicil oxidizer that will go unused. It is a non-chlorine (hydogen peroxide) shock. Can I use that instead of buying a powder version?

Question 2: Is it worth the expense to avoid the baqua-goo? I have done a lot of research (how if found this amazingly helpful site) and no one else follows this protocol - they go straight to shock.

Appreciate any advice you might have.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!
Follow the above process. Many have used it successfully.
If reasonably possible, it is wise to drain down as much water that can be safely done with your type pool and refill with fresh water.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Reactions: Mdragger88
You SHOULD NOT USE shock. If they are recommending you use dichlor shock, the added cyanuric acid (CYA) will slow the process down terribly. You will cause a giant mess. I suggest you ignore the pool store and follow the advice on this forum.

• Love
Reactions: Leebo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.