Converting to chlorine

Deezy

Apr 2, 2023
Birmingham, Alabama
In need of some guidance.

We bought a pool last year in June, it’s a 27’ and decided to go soft swim and use Baquacil. While I didn’t have any issues using it the cost is what got me. Fall/winter came and I didn’t cover the pool nor did I winterize. Over the months the water turned green as expected. Now it’s April and I want to convert to chlorine.

So over spring break I went to the pool store with a sample and told them what I want to do. They tested and I had 0 baqua, 0 zero chlorine, basically zeros across the board except for my Ph. It was high. They gave me some Ph Down, and a huge bucket of shock and chemical to get my alkalinity up. So I started mixing shock and slinging it in the pool. Immediately things started happening. After a few days I didn’t get no noticeable change.

So I started reading Pool school. Ordered a Taylor k 2006c kit and tested water. Zeros again except for alkalinity it was high. Went to the store and bought stabilizer, bleach, and borax.

I put in chemical suggested in pool math. After about an hour I tested and finally got normal readings. But the issue is I’m cloudy. It’s better than what is was but not clear like it should be.

Is this something that has to work it’s course and eventually clear up?

Welcome to TFP!!! :shark:

Congrats on the test kit, perfect choice.

Can you post a full set of test results?
FC
pH
CC
CYA
CH
TA

You can do an overnight chlorine lost test to see if you have algae (likely). Link-->Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

I think you will find that your OCLT FC loss will be surprisingly high. At that point it is time to SLAM. Here is the process...Link-->SLAM Process

FC
pH
CC
CYA
CH
TA

You can do an overnight chlorine lost test to see if you have algae (likely). Link-->Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

I think you will find that your OCLT FC loss will be

FC
pH
CC
CYA
CH
TA

I think you will find that your OCLT FC loss will be surprisingly high. At that point it is time to SLAM. Here is the process...Link-->SLAM Process

surprisingly high. At that point it is time to SLAM. Here is the process...Link-->SLAM Process

Attachments

• D40E3AB7-B1C8-4742-97B1-FADDA2A123F8.png
    D40E3AB7-B1C8-4742-97B1-FADDA2A123F8.png
    412.5 KB · Views: 21
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.